Fall 2014 Cohort

Funding Opportunities

All admitted students are considered for funding—usually from the department but sometimes from the university or some external source. The department makes every effort to support all who enter and remain in good standing for at least five years (ten semesters).

Sociology Department Opportunities

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships, which include a tuition credit, health benefits, and a stipend for grading or teaching work, are available to U.S. citizens and foreign students. We make every effort to support all of our students for five years, contingent on their progress in the program. Some positions may also be available for those who are “above eligibility” (past five years), depending on our needs in any given semester.

Research Assistantships

Faculty with research grants may hire Research or Project Assistants for varying numbers of hours, during the school year or the summer. These positions will be advertised on our listserv and hiring will be conducted by the faculty member involved. The numbers of Assistantships of this kind fluctuates from one semester to the next.

Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) Classes

The Sociology Department offers online classes through CPE on a regular basis, and graduate students may apply for some of the positions. These courses are open to students with experience teaching their own courses. We try to ensure that every student has an opportunity to teach one of these classes at least once in their graduate school career.

Research Enhancement and Leadership (REAL) Fellowships

The Graduate School offers competitive Research Enhancement and Leadership (REAL) Fellowships, which provide summer funding and professional development activities that foster the development of a supportive community for underrepresented graduate students at the university. REAL fellows are nominated by the GPD when they apply for admission. REAL funding comes from both the Graduate School and the Sociology Department.

Summer Funding

Currently, we guarantee summer funding to graduate students (who do not receive significant external or UMass fellowships) at three different junctures: completion of the first year, preparation for a comprehensive exam paper, and advancement to candidacy.

Professional Development Funds

All graduate students may apply for approximately $250 each year to cover expenses, such as conference attendance, professional memberships, travel to conduct research, workshops, software not otherwise available etc. Funds may not be used to cover the costs of purchasing equipment.

Other Campus Opportunities

The Graduate School maintains a list of other on-campus job opportunities that include assistantship and hourly positions in departments across campus that are open to students in all graduate programs.

Fellowship & Grant Funding Opportunities

For a list of available fellowship and grant funding opportunities, click here (UMass NetID and password required to view).  This list is updated as we become aware of opportunities.