The Data Analytics and Computational Social Science (DACSS) program at the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers three degree programs:
The program also offers a certificate and advanced certificate in Data Analytics and Computational Social Science.
DACSS accepts applications for both in-person and online admittance per the deadlines below for students wanting to start in either the Summer/Fall or Spring semester.
Please apply through the UMass Amherst Graduate School. Be sure to indicate which program you're applying to and which term you plan to start the degree. Please be careful to select "Data Analytics and Computational Social Science," as there are other analytics programs on campus. Applicants for the in-person MS should apply for Summer term admission, although orientation and classes will not start until early to mid-August.
For students applying after the regular admission deadline, please email dacss [at] umass [dot] edu prior to applying.
Programs of Study
Priority Admission* Deadline
Regular Admission Deadline
Late Admission Deadline**
|MS DACSS||On-campus||Summer||February 1||April 15||May 15|
|MS DACSS||On-campus||Fall||February 1||April 15||July 15|
|MS DACSS||On-campus||Spring||October 1||November 15||January 1|
|MS DACSS||Online||Fall||N/A||April 15||July 15|
|MS DACSS||Online||Spring||N/A||November 15||January 1|
|MS DACSS||Online||Summer||N/A||February 1||April 15|
|Graduate Certificate||Online||Any Term||N/A||Register Through UWW||N/A|
|Per Course||Online||Any Term||N/A||Register Through UWW||N/A|
*Preferred deadline for international applicants needing visa processing.
**U.S. applicants only. Please email dacss [at] umass [dot] edu before applying for information on availability. Applications are reviewed as space in the program permits.
After you apply
Students will ordinarily receive a decision from the Graduate School within a few weeks of the relevant application deadline.
If you submit an in-person priority application or apply as an international student requiring a visa for admittance in the Summer or Fall cycle, please respond to the Graduate School no later than April 15.
For late admissions – please be advised that the graduate school will automatically place you in a Spring 2024 placement. However, the DACSS admissions team will then correctly enter you into the semester of your choice.
When you submit your application through the UMass Graduate School application portal, you will need to include the following materials:
- Personal statement. Your personal statement should address why you are interested in pursuing a degree in computational social science and what makes you a good fit for our program. Be sure to describe any relevant research or programming experience, whether obtained in the classroom or in another setting.
- Resume or C.V.
- Most recent official college transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation. While two recommendations are required, you may submit a third if you feel it would provide another perspective. Include at least one current or former professor. Submit only the names of the recommenders; the Graduate School will send an email to each referee with instructions on how to electronically deliver the recommendation to the Graduate School. All recommendations will be considered non-confidential unless the applicant waives their right of access.
- TOEFL/IELTS. Required for international students without prior instruction in English
- GRE (optional).
- Writing sample (optional).