Turfgrass Science and Management students have a passion for the outdoors and working on golf courses and other turf surfaces. Here at UMass, our Turfgrass Science and Management degree is an applied science program that provides invaluable career and technical training that focuses on the production and maintenance of grassed areas, including golf courses, home lawns, parks, and other athletic fields. We offer both a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree as well as a 2-year Associate of Science degree with the option to continue on for the Bachelor of Science degree. Our students graduate with internship experience, which is part of their curriculum requirement. They are highly competitive for the most sought after professional opportunities and our graduates have a 100% job placement rate.
Interested in more information about the Associate or Bachelor degree program? Click here for more information.
What You'll Learn
Our students gain hands-on training, and develop industry specific knowledge and skills, including:
- Knowledge of sustainable turfgrass management practices and facility management
- Understanding of basic plant and soil science principles
- Grass and seed identification
- Turfgrass culture and physiology
- Pest control
- Business management and accounting (BS only)
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Commercial, Residential or Sports Turf Manager
- Park Manager
- Lawn Care Professional
- Sports Turf and Grass Seed Sales Specialist
- Educator or Researcher (BS only)