The UMass Building and Construction Technology (BCT) program trains future leaders in the field of sustainable design and construction of the built environment. Our program prepares students for rewarding careers in Construction Management, Sustainable Building Design, Building Energy Efficiency, and Materials Technology – all part of our nation’s largest industries.
Want information on a minor in BCT? Click here.
What You'll Learn
Our curriculum combines coursework in building systems, materials performance, business management, marketing, digital tools, as well as critical hands-on training and comprehensive written and oral communications. Students graduate with:
- Management and communication skills and demonstrate an understanding of key business aspects of design, construction and materials supply industries.
- Design techniques and deep knowledge of a sustainable built environment, including materials, methods, and building/structural systems common to residential and commercial construction projects.
- Advanced energy analysis and auditing techniques for building systems.
- An understanding of physical, mechanical and environmental attributes of sustainable wood construction.
- Construction & project management experience.
- Computer programs such as CAD (Computer-Aided Design) and BIM (Building Information Modeling).
- Construction Project Management
- Green Building Design, Energy and Consulting
- Engineered Wood Design
- Business and Marketing of Building Materials and Equipment