Chair: Bogdan Prokopovych (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The International Studies Council will meet on the following dates during the 2022-2023 academic year:
Fall Semester 2022
Spring Semester 2023
January - No Meeting
All meetings will take place from 4:00PM-5:30PM via Zoom with the option to meet at the International Programs Office Conference Room, 70 Butterfield Terrace. To attend a meeting being held via Zoom, please contact the Council chair for a link to the meeting.
The International Studies Council shall:
- Advise the Provost on all international and ethnic programs and studies, such activities to be known in this section as Council activities;
- Coordinate campus internationalization efforts with other components of the University and other institutions of higher learning;
- Serve as a forum for the exchange of information on international studies in the University and the Five Colleges;
- Coordinate and encourage efforts to acquire outside funding for Council activities;
- Evaluate and coordinate proposals for Council activities;
- Advise and recommend the assignment of priorities in budgetary allocations for Council activities; and
- Exercise faculty primary responsibility for the curriculum by reviewing and approving all international activities that carry academic credit, including credit-bearing international activities sponsored by third party providers. Such approvals must be recorded in the minutes and the annual reports of the Council. Formal exchange agreements between the University of Massachusetts Amherst and foreign institutions, however, remain subject to full governance review and a vote by the full Senate.
Its membership shall be:
- Twenty Faculty Members, including one from each School/College headed by a Dean and one Librarian;
- Two Faculty Members selected by the Area Studies Programs (Latin American, Asian, Modern European and Judaic and Near Eastern Studies);
- One Faculty Member selected by the Center for International Education;
- The Associate Provost of International Programs or a designee, serving ex officio;
- The Director of the Five College Center for Study of World Languages or a designee, serving ex officio;
- The Director of International Students and Scholar Services, serving ex officio;
- The Director of Short-Term and Faculty Programs, serving ex-officio;
- The Dean of the Graduate School or a designee, serving ex officio;
- The Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement or a designee, serving ex officio;
- The Five Colleges Executive Director or a designee, serving ex officio;
- The Vice Provost for Online Education or a designee, serving ex officio;
- The Secretary of the Faculty Senate or a designee, serving ex officio, non-voting;
- One Graduate Student, selected by the Chair of the International Studies Council; and
- One Undergraduate Student, selected by the Chair of the International Studies Council.
From Chapter 5 Section 12 of the Faculty Senate Bylaws.