Skip to main content

Enrollment is an official relationship between students and the University. In order to be considered officially enrolled, students must pay all financial obligations to the University and register for courses. Failure to meet either of these conditions means the student is not enrolled for the current semester. 

  1. Full-Time Students
    Full-time students are required to carry the minimum load of 12 credits (also known as “units”) each semester. There are cases in which critical health or personal problems cause a student to find, after the Add/Drop period, that he or she must carry fewer than 12 credits. In these cases, the student cannot be certified as full-time, but all University benefits, fees, and obligations applying to full-time students still apply, as do the requirements for academic good standing. The semester will count as one of the ten allowed for graduation. Students with these extenuating circumstances, who find that their lack of full-time status is denying them an important student benefit may, if supported by their academic deans, ask the Registrar to produce a letter citing the extenuating circumstances that have led to the drop from full-time status. Such letters may or may not be instrumental in convincing an off-campus entity to grant the student the benefits of a full-time student. Students in approved cooperative education programs, administered through the University's Field Experience Office, in which the amount of work performed is equivalent to the academic workload of a full-time student, will also be considered full-time students. In these cases, however, the usual University benefits, fees, and obligations applying to full-time students do not still apply.
  2. Part-Time Degree-Seeking Students
    Part-time is an original admissions category for students who are admitted as candidates for a degree, but who cannot devote their full time to the pursuit of a degree. In addition, full-time students may become part-time. A change in status may be requested during the registration or Add/Drop periods for the semester in which the change of status is sought. Full-time students in good academic standing may elect part-time status without Dean's approval. In all instances, the Registrar's Office must be notified on the appropriate forms available from that office. Part-time students are subject to all academic regulations and standards. (See Section III Academic Status).
  3. Special Students (Non-Degree-Seeking Students)
    Special student status is a limited non-degree admission category for those who wish to enroll in regular University courses and who are not presently pursuing a degree.
    1. If a Special Student is later admitted to a University degree program, the prematriculation record will be evaluated in accordance with provisions stated in Enrollment Regulations for University Without Walls (see Enrollment Regulations for University Without Walls).
    2. Students who withdraw in good standing from an undergraduate degree program and who wish to enroll on a non-degree basis must notify the Registrar of their desire to change their status (see Enrollment Regulations for University Without Walls).
    3. Students who have been suspended or dismissed from an undergraduate degree program may not be admitted to Special Student status. 
  4. University Without Walls Students
    Anyone with a high school degree or its equivalent may register for undergraduate courses in University Without Walls, except as restricted by academic status (see Section III Academic Status). Students may apply to a degree program within University Without Walls, or enroll in courses offered by University Without Walls as non-degree students. The satisfaction of undergraduate degree program requirements with courses offered by University Without Walls is restricted by other policies (see Enrollment Regulations for University Without Walls).
    1. Degree Seeking Students: Students admitted to degree programs in University Without Walls are normally those who need to do their coursework via evening study or via online learning. Most are part-time students. These students must meet general University admission standards in order to matriculate. Students may select the Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) program available only through University Without Walls, which requires an individual concentration in lieu of a traditional major, or an academic program sponsored by a School or College within the University and approved for such enrollment by the Provost's Office. Students may also select the BGS as a second bachelor's degree.
    2. Concurrent Enrollments: Students who have been admitted to a degree program in the University are normally expected to complete their degree requirements after matriculation by enrollment in regular University courses. However, in some circumstances, detailed in Enrollment Regulations for University Without Walls, students may enroll in courses offered by University Without Walls, and in regular University courses. In this case, the two enrollments will be merged on the students' official records and transcripts for that semester. University Without Walls course registration fees must be paid in addition to regular University tuition and fees.
    3. Non-Degree-Seeking Students: Those students registering for courses offered by University Without Walls who are not classified in numbers 1 and 2 above are considered non-degree students. If a non-degree student is accepted to a regular University degree program, the application to that degree program of the courses completed while a nondegree University Without Walls student is governed by regulations detailed in Enrollment Regulations for University Without Walls. Once a student has been enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at the University, a student may not be classified as a University Without Walls non-degree student, except a student who has been suspended or dismissed and has permission from his or her undergraduate dean to enroll in courses offered by the Division will be classified as a non-degree University Without Walls student. 

Source: Academic Regulations