At SBS, you’ll study human behavior through the lens of the social sciences, and you’ll gain deep knowledge about individuals, societies, and cultures to help solve the most pressing issues of the day. The college houses eleven majors, fifteen departments, and an Exploratory Track to help focus your interests. Whatever major you choose, you’ll become a critical thinker, challenging the status quo to impact future generations.
Imagine this: passionate debates with your classmates and professors; unconventional classes that spark your mind; and opportunities to encounter real-world issues and develop and propose cutting-edge solutions. This is what it means to study as an undergraduate at SBS. You’ll receive a vigorous, well-rounded education that will prepare you for a career and for life.
As an undergrad at SBS, you’ll also enjoy:
- Passionate faculty members who want to work alongside you, not just lecture at you. Your professors will become your mentors, and they’ll challenge your thinking and inspire your journey. They’re experts in their fields, by the way.
- Interdisciplinary exposure to other majors and schools at UMass. What does this really mean? You can follow your passion across different fields and mold your major to fit you.
- A devoted Advising Center that will help you achieve your academic and professional goals. Call on them to guide you every step of the way or only on occasion, helping you pick your classes and stay on track for graduation. They’ve also got the expertise when it comes to internships and jobs.
- Experiential learning, meaning: you’ll experience the world so you can make it your own and transform it. Follow your areas of interest and gain real world experience through internships, co-ops, job shadowing programs, and volunteering.
- Unrivaled undergraduate research opportunities that will allow you to dive in right now, not just as a graduate student. Past students have developed political science research tools, explored the impacts of poverty on child biology, and coauthored published studies with professors.
Check out our website, get to know us, and reach out with questions. We’re here to help you as you navigate your educational experience, as you plan for your future, and as you build your place within it.
Preparing You for Lifelong Success
College is about much more than attending class, striving for good grades, and graduating with a job offer or graduate school plans. That’s certainly part of it, but there is so much more to a fulfilling and successful college experience. That’s why we created SBS Pathways.
SBS Pathways is a framework for understanding student success as purposeful engagement with the academic, cocurricular, experiential, and professional development aspects of your college education. It’s also an orientation to student support that offers you multiple forms of guidance as you pursue and integrate the various dimensions of your own personal pathways. Learn more about SBS Pathways and talk to your advisor about shaping your personal pathway to success.