We strive to foster a college culture and climate that is strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Faculty recruitment, hiring, and retention are especially critical in our vision to foster a college environment that positively affirms the contributions of multiple perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences.
Although SBS is one of the more diverse colleges at UMass Amherst with regards to tenure-track faculty, we are committed to improving as much as possible every year. We are well aware of the inequities and complexity of the “academic pipeline” and the impact this has on departmental culture, curricula, student body, and scholarly production. In light of our mission to be more consistent in our efforts to hire new faculty from a broadly diverse and highly qualified pool, below are a set of hiring guidelines aimed to help achieve our vision for inclusive excellence.
- SBS Guidelines for Achieving Diversity in Faculty Recruitment, Hiring, and Retention
- Office of Equity and Inclusion Administrative Policies and Procedures
- Office of Equity and Inclusion Faculty Search Resources
- Provost's Office Revised Guidelines for Tenure Stream Faculty Searches (8/20/2018)
- STRIDE Faculty Recruitment Workshops (Fall 2018)
For further information, contact:
Associate Dean for Equity and Inclusion & Professor of Communication
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
N352 Integrative Learning Center
650 North Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA 01003