SBS Dean's Research Excellence Award
Tenure line faculty at all ranks are eligible. This award recognizes distinguished achievement in scholarship and research. Application due March 9, 2018.
Tenure line faculty at all ranks; Self-nominations welcome as well as nominations from faculty peers, Departmental Personnel Committees and Chairs; Recognizes distinguished achievement in scholarship and research. The types of achievement envisioned include:
- the winning of a prestigious prize
- receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers
- receipt of a major grant
- noteworthy publications in the field
These achievements should be within the last five years
Criteria for Application
- Letter of nomination from nominating person
- Candidate’s vita
- Scholarly materials sufficient to allow evaluation of her/his merits
- The Dean’s Research Council reviews applications and selects recipient
$1,000 prize. The award recipient will also receive a plaque at an SBS event.
How to Apply
To submit your application, please put it in a word document, title it RESEARCH EXCELLENCE AWARD and email it and all attachments (including letter of recommendation) to Jennifer Lundquist and Tracy Tudryn. The application is due March 9, 2018.
SBS Outstanding Teaching Award
The College Outstanding Teaching Award was instituted in 1995 to augment the University Distinguished Teaching Award in an effort to recognize a larger number of talented teachers. Nominating procedures, however, are different. Candidates for the College Teaching Award are nominated by their peers and selected by the SBS Instructional Innovation Committee.
Each program in the college is invited to nominate one candidate for the College Outstanding Teaching Award. The programs are: Anthropology, Communication, Economics, Journalism, Landscape Architecture, Legal Studies, Political Science, Resource Economics, Social Thought and Political Economy, Sociology, Sustainable Community Development, and the School of Public Policy.
Nominations are made by department personnel committees and/or department chairs.
- Any full-time faculty member who has been a member of SBS for a minimum of three years and who has taught at least two semesters before being nominated.
- Faculty who have received the Distinguished Teaching Award or the College Outstanding Teaching Award within the past five years are not eligible.
- The nomination package should be sent to Associate Dean Julie Caswell no later than Friday, February 23, 2018. A Committee of former teaching award winners, an undergraduate student, and a graduate student will review the nominations. Dean John Hird will forward the name(s) of the selectee(s) to the Institute for Teaching Excellence and Faculty Development by March 16, 2018.
The Nomination Package should include the following documents. Submission of the package as a pdf to Julie Caswell is preferred. Paper submission is allowed.
- One letter of support signed by the personnel committee chair and/or department chair. The letter should include an explanation of the department's procedures for evaluating teaching and how the nominee’s record reaches the level of outstanding.
- Summary of teaching activities from the last 3 Annual Reports. In addition to credits and enrollments in courses, the summary may include activities such as: advising, mentoring, program administration, curriculum and/or teaching innovations, etc.
- Samples of course syllabi.
- Quantitative evaluations of teaching for the past 3 years. Please include percentage of students responding for each course. If only qualitative evaluations are available, indicate the percentage responding for each course and submit all student evaluations for each course, not just selected samples.
- Qualitative evaluations of teaching from past 3 years. Please submit a maximum of a five-page summary of student comments. Please do not submit all written evaluations.
- A maximum of five letters of support from students and/or faculty colleagues. Please be sure that the letters focus on the nominee’s teaching, mentoring, and related activities.