Actions pledged by the SBS student success team
- Job Ad Statement. While we include the required Equal Opportunity statement in all advisor search ads, we want to convey a stronger sense of commitment.
- Recruitment. Although we typically advertise advising/student success positions locally, we will expand outreach to advertise in Historically Black Colleges and Universities’ (HBCU) publications in an effort to significantly diversify our applicant pools.
- Applicant Statement. As of 2018, all SBS faculty searches have required applicants to submit a statement about how their work promotes and is framed by a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Applicants have noted that this communicates SBS’ commitment to promoting social justice, and search committees have noted that the statements provide an important piece of information about the extent to which candidates share that commitment. We will require this for all advising/student success positions going forward.
Academic Fellows Program (AFP)
AFP supports SBS undergraduates who identify as students of color, first-generation, and/or from families with low incomes. AFP provides a sense of community and belonging, academic and professional resources, networking and mentoring, and a safe space for challenging conversations about diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Director of AFP. The AFP Directorship will be expanded from a part-time role to a full-time lecturer position.
- Diversity Fellows. The AFP Diversity Fellows peer leader positions will be transformed into internships to provide a deeper professional development opportunity for AFP students. The Fellows will be supervised by the new Director.
Updating SBS Literature
- SBS Pathways. SBS Pathways materials and talking points will be revised to foreground students’ development of civic responsibility as a vital theme across their academic, experiential, and professional pathways.
- SBS Pathways Website. New SBS web pages for academic advising and career and professional development will be designed to highlight the role of the social sciences in confronting injustice. The webpages will include a prominent statement for those pages that makes explicit our commitment to understanding, acknowledging, and fighting racism.
- Scholarships and High Impact Opportunities. In an effort to close the opportunity gap, SBS offers generous, need-based scholarships for internships, study abroad, research, and financial aid. We are actively working to expand funding to make these opportunities viable for more students, particularly those who may otherwise consider them financially out of reach.