The Bacherman awards were established in memory of Scott J. Bacherman ’76 who served as Program Director of WMUA from 1973 to 1975. He instituted 24-hour operation of the station with paid management staff beginning in the summer of 1975. Scott founded Greenfield-based WPOE in 1976 and went on to a career as manager and owner of numerous commercial radio stations. Before his death in August 2002, he was Regional Executive Vice President of Clear Channel Communications, acting as chief operating executive of 34 radio stations in New England and Virginia in addition to the KQS Network in Boston.
Bacherman Internship Award – Two or three awards of up to $2,000 to support a student taking an unpaid internship in the field of broadcasting, media convergence or affiliated fields.
Eligibility: The successful applicant will:
- Have a major in Communication, Journalism or BDIC, or be active in WMUA, WFCR, UVC-TV/19, The Daily Collegian and other campus media and entertainment organizations;
- Provide documentation of an unpaid summer or fall internship in journalism, broadcasting, electronic media, entertainment/music industry, or affiliated fields;
- Be in good academic standing; and
- Have demonstrated financial need, as determined by the UMass Amherst Financial Aid Office.
Selection: Selection is based on financial need, academic merit and strength of completed application.
Deadline to apply: Wednesday, March 30, 2016
The recipients of this award will be expected to:
- Write a thank-you letter to the donors of the Bacherman Fund
- Attend the scholarship reception on Sunday, May 1, 2016
Contact: Susan McDonough , Associate Director of External Affairs for Donor Relations
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
235 Draper Hall
40 Campus Center Way
Amherst, MA 01003-9244