SBS in DC
SBS in DC is an exciting summer internship program that connects UMass Amherst College of Social & Behavioral Science majors with UMass alumni working in Washington DC. Entering into its third year, the program has proven to be a stepping stone for students interested in careers in fields like policy, non-profits, international development, strategy, marketing, PR, government, campaign work and more.
Program participants are matched with host internship sites for a 10-week summer internship, participate in a hybrid online/face to face class, and have the opportunity to network with UMass Alumni who are working in the area, and live together as a cohort in DC. Alumni mentor students at internship sites all over DC.
Previously, students have interned in and around Capitol Hill:
- Congresswoman Katherine Clark - MA-5 (D)
- Congressman Jim McGovern - MA-2 (D)
- Congressman Tony Cardenas - CA-29 (D)
- Congressman Brett Guthrie - KY-2 (R)
- Congressman Joe Kennedy III - MA-4 (D)
- Senator Elizabeth Warren - MA (D)
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus
Students have also interned with organizations that work on issues such as:
Foreign Affairs and International Development
- Sovereign Infrastructure Group
- Department of Defense, Office of the General Counsel
- Refugee Policy Program, Church World Service
- Center for Advanced Defense Studies
- The American Interest
Health & Environment
- American Dental Assoc. Congressional Lobby
- Mylan/Viatris Policy Research Unit
- American Gastroenterological Assoc. Public Policy & Government Affairs
- Health Resources and Services Administration/Bureau of Workforce Health
- The Nature Conservancy
- American Rivers
Data, Strategy & PR
- Lincoln Park Strategies
- The Reis Group
- No Labels
- Targeted Victory
- New Blue Interactive
MORE INTERNSHIP SITES TO COME SOON!
Program Dates and Deadlines
The dates of the program in Washington DC are Saturday, May 29, 2021 - Saturday, August 7, 2021.
There will be a mandatory 1-credit class in the 2021 spring semester that all participants must register for that will cover topics such as professional etiquette & communication, networking, DC 101, internship expectations, identity and bias, policy & legislative process, learning objectives, and goal setting. Those selected into the program will receive access to the class in time for Spring registration.
Any SBS majors who are current Sophomores and Juniors, as well as seniors who will graduate in December 2021, are welcome to apply. SBS in DC is a selective program, with a limited number of internships available. We are looking for applicants who are serious about representing SBS in DC with our alumni hosts.
Students who are selected into the 2021 cohort will be provided housing in DC with the other students in the cohort.* SBS may also pay for one academic credit for your summer internship. You may register for additional credits for the internship, but SBS will not pay for those. Additional funding to cover travel to DC, food, metro card, and other expenses may be available by applying for scholarship funds through AcademicWorks, dependent on financial need.
*Please note, if public health and safety prevent the program from operating in-person in Washington DC, the program will be conducted remotely and housing will not be provided.
Attend a virtual info session and learn about the program from students who have participated in previous years!
- Fri. Sept. 25 at 12:15pm | Register via Handshake
- Fri. Sept. 25 at 2:30pm | Register via Handshake
- Mon. Sept. 28 at 12:15pm | Register via Handshake
- Tues. Sept. 29 at 4:30pm | Register via Handshake
- Thurs. Oct. 1 at 10:00am | Register via Handshake
- Thurs. Oct. 1 at 1:30pm | Register via Handshake
- Fri. Oct. 2 at 12:15pm | Register via Handshake
Please RSVP in Handshake for the sessions you would like to attend to receive the Zoom links.
If you would like to connect with someone on the SBS in DC team to go over your application materials or ask any questions, visit us during drop in hours!
- Mondays - Oct. 5 and Oct. 12 | 10:00am to 2:30pm
- Thursdays - Oct. 8 and Oct. 15 | 10:00am to 2:30pm
- Fridays - Oct. 9 and Oct. 16 | 12:00Ppm to 2:00pm
To sign up for drop in hours, go to Handshake and under the Career Center tab, select Make an Appointment. From there, select the appointment reason as SBS in DC to see availability.
Apply in Handshake starting September 28!
Applications Due: Friday, October 16, 2020 at 5:00pm
Click the link, or search for “SBS in DC 2021” in the jobs tab in Handshake