On June 15-17, the Cleve E. Willis Lab at the University of Massachusetts Amherst will host the seventh biennial meeting of the interdisciplinary Working Group on Testing Theoretical Models of Individual Behavior in Dynamic Social Dilemmas, also known as the Social Dilemmas Working Group. The keynote address will be given by Dr. Cristina Bicchieri, the Sascha Jane Patterson Harvie Professor of Social Thought and Comparative Ethics at the University of Pennsylvania.
Since its inception, the Social Dilemmas Working Group has highlighted the importance of combining multiple methods (including formal theory; laboratory, field and survey experiments; agent-based modeling; and observational data) with insights from multiple disciplinary perspectives. This multi-method, interdisciplinary collaboration leads to improved understanding and modelling of the theoretical foundations of behavior in social dilemmas, and creates practical applications and solutions which can be used to improve and inform local and international governance and improve social welfare.
Funding for this meeting has been generously provided by the Department of Resource Economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR), and the National Science Foundation. Our program can be found here.
- Hartford/Bradley International Airport (BDL) is the closest airport to UMass Amherst, serving both western Massachusetts and the greater Hartford area.
- The best way to get to UMass from Bradley is by reserving the Valley Transporter, which you will need to do in advance and provide flight information. After claiming your luggage, passengers can go to the Valley Transporter Courtesy Desk inside the baggage claim area and use the courtesy phone for instructions on where to meet your driver or just call from your phone (once you get your confirmation email, you will have detailed instructions)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is also a possibility. From the Boston airport, it is possible to take a Peter Pan Bus to the campus at UMass Amherst (Drop-off location is Haigis Mall, which is a 10 min walk on campus to the hotel). Peter Pan pick up locations are located outside the baggage area of each terminal at Logan Airport. You can also make your way to South Station Boston (700 Atlantic Avenue) using the Silver Line and take the bus from there. You will have a stopover either in Springfield, MA or Hartford, CT to change buses going to UMass.
Driving and Parking:
- If you are driving and choose to use GPS, the Campus Center/UMass Hotel address is 1 Campus Center Way, Amherst, MA 01003.
- Detailed directions can be found in the Visitors’ Center website.
- The Campus Center Parking Garage is available to the university community on an hourly basis. The rate is $1.75/hr and is open 24/7. You can also buy a One-Day Temporary Parking Pass: $6.00/day from Parking Services. More information on parking options can be found here.