Research Development Fund (RDF)
WUN Research Development Fund Information Session: August 29, 2019; 10:00 – 11:00am; Life Sciences Laboratories, Room S330. Register below
The 2019 Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) Research Development Fund(RDF) call for proposals is now open for all full-time UMass Amherst faculty whose appointments extend beyond the current academic year.The RDF provides grants of up to £10,000 (USD$12,700), for one year, to augment institutional funds in fostering research collaborations among academic staff (faculty members) at partner universities. The RDF supports work across four WUN Global Challenges, informed by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, that lie at the heart of our mission: Responding to Climate Change, Public Health (non-communicable diseases), Global Higher Education and Research, and Understanding Cultures. For 2019, UMass Priority Areas will be "Responding to Climate Change" and "Planetary (Global) Health" (related to two WUN Global Challenges - "Responding to Climate Change" and "Public Health (non-communicable diseases)".
The RDF is intended as launch support. Funds may cover the costs of such activities as exploratory research initiatives, planning workshops, faculty exchanges and the formation of collaborative networks, and engagement with students via guest lectures or master classes.
The RDF provides one-year grants of up to £10,000 ($12,700 USD), in a one-to-one match with contributions by partner universities. In 2019, our campus will provide up to $10,000 in matching funds for up to two UMass Amherst-led RDF proposals. UMass Amherst matching funds are available to faculty who would like to participate in a WUN proposal led by another WUN institution. We will provide 50% matching funds, with a maximum of $5000, for up to three proposals on which UMass Amherst is not the lead.
Projects will be selected through an internal review process and assistance will be provided in developing full proposals for submission to WUN. A unique feature of WUN is that coordinators at each university work together to connect their faculty with potential collaborators at other member universities. Thus, it is important for interested faculty contact Loren Walker, WUN Coordinator for UMass Amherst as early as possible in the development of their proposals.
Below is the timeline and deadlines for the 2019 RDF application process:
- August 29: 10:00 – 11:00am “WUN Research Development Fund Info Session” Life Sciences Laboratories, Room S330. Register below
UMass Amherst-led project deadlines:
- September 5: Letter of Intent (LOI) (non-binding). Send your name, the working title of your project, and the names and institutions of prospective collaborators in an email to Michelle Wonsey at firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 19: Deadline for preliminary proposals for projects led by UMass faculty
- September 27: Invitations for full proposals announced
- October 22: Internal deadline for full proposals.
- October 31: Full Proposal submission to WUN by 5:00 pm GMT
UMass Amherst collaborator project deadlines:
- September 19: Letter of Intent (LOI) (non-binding). Send your name, the working title of the project, and the names and institutions of the lead investigator and prospective collaborators to Michelle Wonsey at email@example.com
- October 3: Deadline for preliminary proposals for collaborations led by another WUN university faculty member
- October 9: Selection for participation in a full proposal announced
October 31: Full proposal submission to WUN by 5:00 pm GMT
- December 13: RDF awards announced by WUN
- February 2020: Projects start