Human Subjects Determination Process in Kuali
Researchers seeking Determinations should create an IRB Determination submission within the Kuali Protocols module. Upon creation of the IRB submission, Kuali will prompt researchers to indicate whether they are seeking a Human Subjects Research Determination. If so, researchers will be prompted to complete a Determination Form within the Kuali system.
Determination Submission Instructions
The process is the same as submitting an IRB Protocol (review the Kuali IRB User Guide if you are unfamiliar with the Kuali system):
- Log in to the Kuali Protocols module and click the “+New Protocol” button located on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Select “IRB” from the drop-down menu that will appear.
- Complete the General Information fields (Principal Investigator, Department, and Protocol Title)
- Click “Next” on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Complete the questions regarding project type (Biomedical or Social Behavioral) and Community Engagement.
- The final question on this page will be “Are you seeking to determine whether or not your project requires IRB review?” Answering “YES” to this question and clicking "Next" on the right-hand side of the screen will open the Determination form.
- This will trigger an abbreviated form that only requests essential information for our office to decide whether your project needs IRB review or whether it falls outside the federal regulations.
If you have any questions about this process you can reach us by phone at (413) 545.3428 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org