A Conflict of Interest (COI) is a set of circumstances that creates a risk that professional judgment or actions regarding a primary interest will be unduly influenced by a secondary interests.
Below is a flowchart that visually describes the COI disclosure process. It also includes links to the various types of Conflict of Interest and information about Kuali COI, the electronic platform used to submit disclosures.
Conflict of Interest Categories
- Outside Activities
- PHS-funded researchers
- NSF-funded researchers
- Human Subject Research
- Intellectual Property & Commercial Ventures
- State Employees
- Presentation on Policy on Conflicts of Interest
- Guidance on Conflict of Interest (UMass Conflicts Committee)
- Conflict of Interest and Textbook Royalties
Conflict of Interest disclosures are submitted through Kuali COI, an electronic disclosure form that combines a range of existing COI policies and regulations (listed below) into a single process and is fully integrated into Kuali eRA.Questions regarding Kuali COI can be directed to Melinda LeLacheur, Office of Research Compliance, at (413) 545-5283 or email@example.com.
- A tutorial is available in the Kuali Videos section of our Kuali Guides & Documentation Page.
- Users will be prompted to be completed Kuali COI at the time of proposal submission. It is recommended that they submit or update their Kuali COI soon after.
- During the Kuali COI disclosure process, users will now be asked to declare relationships between each entity listed and each sponsored research project.
Kuali COI Guidance:
- Kuali COI Instructions
- Update or Revise an Existing Kuali COI Disclosures
- Kuali COI - Request to Edit disclosure still in approval process.
- Assigning a Delegate in Kuali COI
- Instructions for Kuali COI Delegates
For questions regarding Conflict of Interest and/or Conflict of Commitment policies, procedures or regulations contact the Office of Research Compliance or Jennifer Donais Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research & Engagement, Compliance & Support Services.