External Resources for Additional Human Subjects Protections Training
In addition to the mandatory CITI training, a variety of additional on-line training options are available through a number of sources and cover a wide array of topics related to the ethical principles governing human subject research and human subject research protections.
OHRP has created educational videos on the Health & Human Services YouTube channel. The videos are accessible through the OHRP Playlist and include:
- General Regulatory Information
- Incident Reporting and Compliance
- Informed Consent
- Issues Related to Types of Research
- Vulnerable Populations
OHRP YouTube Channel
- Videos produced by OHRP about a variety of compliance issues
The Research Clinic
- One hour interactive training video produced by the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) and the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP)
- For clinical and social researchers
- About the importance of appropriately protecting research subjects and avoiding research misconduct.
- Allows the viewer to assume the role of one of four storytellers – like a choose your own adventure, you can determine the outcome.
Case Study Collection from the Ethics Education Library
- Database of ethics cases from the fields of science, engineering, social sciences, and business (from the Illinois Institute of Technology)
- Great resource for professors looking to integrate ethics case studies into their curriculum
Articles from the Ethics Education Library
- Collection of articles about research ethics (from the Illinois Institute of Technology)
- Great resource for professors looking for additional course readings
Human Subjects Training from Health Resources and Services Administration
- The entire training should take you about 90 minutes to complete; however, you can complete each module independently of the others. Module 1 is 22 minutes. Module 2 is 28 minutes and Module 3 is 36 minutes.
- Module 1 : Evolving Concern: Protection for Human Subjects
- Module 2 : The Belmont Report: Basic Ethical Principles and Their Application
- Module 3 : Balancing Society's Mandates: Criteria for Protocol Review