Information About the Fresh Start Option for Eligible Returning Students.
|If Your last Semester at UMass Amherst was...||You are eligible for Fresh Start Starting...|
|Spring 2017||Fall 2020|
|Fall 2017||Spring 2021|
|Spring 2018||Fall 2021|
|Fall 2018||Spring 2022|
|Spring 2019||Fall 2022|
|Spring 2020||Fall 2023|
|Fall 2020||Spring 2024|
Students who return to the University after an absence of at least three years may have their prior work not included in their cumulative grade point average subject to the following conditions:
- Re-enrollment to the University must follow normal procedures (e.g., a student who left the University on academic dismissal must petition the Committee on Admissions and Records and justify re-enrollment on the usual grounds).
- A minimum of 45 credits must be taken in residence on the UMass Amherst campus after re-enrollment and before graduation.
- Courses taken and grades achieved in the first admission will appear on the transcript along with a notation that they are not included in the cumulative average.
- General Education and free elective credits passed with a grade of C- or better in the first admission will be counted toward graduation credit upon re-enrollment but will not be included in the cumulative average.
- Major program courses taken in the first admission must be approved as part of the major program for graduation by the major department. Courses accepted to the major will not be included in the calculation of the major grade point average.
- Those who had left the University in Good Standing or on Probation will have Academic Standing calculations begin at the start of the progression upon their return. Students who, upon departure, had a suspension or dismissal in that final term will continue through the usual academic standing progression after their return.
- Students who qualify for and wish to choose this option must notify the Registrar as part of the Re-enrollment application. Students may not change the option after they have been re-enrolled. If students choose this option, it will apply to all prior work at the University. Students may not choose the option retroactively after re-enrollment.
- For the purpose of this policy, an "absence of at least three years" is defined as not having been enrolled in any courses on the Amherst campus for six successive fall and spring semesters or any of the intervening intercessions or summer sessions. Students may not have been enrolled in any regular University courses or any courses offered by University Without Walls during this period.
To view Fresh Start Policies go to "K. Special Provisions for Reinstatement after Extended Absence from the University. (Fresh Start)" in the Academic Regulations.