Can I take time off?

To maintain active status at the University, students are required to be enrolled in at least one course.

New undergraduate students (entering first-ever semester at UMass Amherst) who choose to withdraw from the university before the semester begins should email with their Spire ID number and state their intention to withdraw. New undergraduate students who withdraw prior to the Move-In dates associated with their admit term (as published on the Residential Life website) and want to return to UMass in a future semester will have to re-apply through the Undergraduate Admissions Office. Withdrawal requests from new undergraduate students received after Move-In but prior to the second day of classes will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine Re-Enrollment eligibility.

Continuing undergraduate students (have completed at least one semester at UMass Amherst and currently enrolled) can withdraw from the University by completing an End of Term Withdrawal in SPIRE (if withdrawing after semester is over but before first day of next semester). If withdrawing from the university during the semester, please visit the Dean of Students Office website for information regarding Withdrawing from the University. Depending on the last date of attendance, students withdrawing during the semester may be eligible for a partial refund. Please visit the Office of the Bursar’s website for more information on the Prorated Tuition and Mandatory Fee Schedule

The Application for Re-Enrollment is due March 15 for Fall re-entry and October 15 for Spring re-entry. More information about the Re-Enrollment process can be found here: