If you have general questions about the Psych major or just want to know more before possibly declaring a major, we welcome you to visit our drop-in advising center in Tobin 501 weekdays 10-3 during fall and spring terms.
Beginning Fall 2023 Declaring a major in General Psychology (BA or BS) will be a three-step process. PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST 7-10 DAYS TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS.
Declaration of a major in General Psych will be a three step process:
Visit our drop-in advising in person or on zoom (See hours and details here). We open for Drop-in beginning on Sept 5. Zoom Drop-in starts Sept 11.
- Ask Questions about the major and learn where our advising center is: Tobin Hall 501
- Ask the advisor on duty to confirm that you will be added to our Moodle course for change of major
- Allow at least 48 hours to be added to the Moodle course (especially if you visit on a Friday!)
- When you see the Psychology Major Declaration - General Psychology course appear in your Moodle courses, study the material there including requirement checklist and linked videos about requirements, advising, and using our website.
- You must achieve a perfect score on a short quiz on the Moodle site AND submit a google form requesting change of major. The google form is linked on the moodle site. Please allow at least another 48 hours for your change of major to be completed on SPIRE (especially if you complete it on a Friday or weekend!)
- Visit our drop-in advising in person or on zoom (See hours and details here). We open for Drop-in beginning on Sept 5. Zoom Drop-in starts Sept 11.
- Watch your UMass email in case we have any questions or updates for you!
Declaring the Neuroscience Track
If you would like to join the Neuroscience track, in addition to declaring the BS in Psych as your major, you must make an appointment with one of the Neuroscience advisors (and you must have a 3.0 GPA). You can find their hours here.