Prior to graduation submit an online Declaration of Minor form and an unofficial transcript. All grades must be posted on your unofficial transcript (with the exception of your final semester classes) prior to submitting this form.
The Psychology minor can be declared after all your psychology course grades are finalized or when you are enrolled in your last semester.
The minor will not appear on your SPIRE transcript until all courses have been successfully completed and graded. Once you’re graded for your final course, you can find your minor posted on your unofficial transcript or under student services center on SPIRE. The minor must be declared prior to graduation. Questions regarding the online form can be directed to Laurie Dove.
Psychology minor requirements
- Students who wish to pursue a minor in psychology need to complete 5 courses (a minimum of 3-credits per course) totaling at least 15 graded credits in psychology.
- The psychology minor does not have specific course requirements, but prerequisites will not be waived for minors
- Psych 100 is a prerequisite for all psychology courses and does count in the minor (as long as it is not AP or IB credit)
AP or IB Psych credit cannot replace one of the 5 courses required for the minor
- AP or IB credit for Psych 100 satisfies the prerequisite but it will not count toward the minor, students with Psych 100 AP or IB credit can enroll in 5 classes above Psych 100 to complete the minor
- Check SPIRE for course restrictions; restrictions will not be lifted for minors
All courses counted toward the minor must have a grade of C or better.
- In Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 courses elected as pass/fail will be accepted toward the minor
- Practicum courses (Psych 398) will not count towards the minor
- Education 306 (Educational Psychology) will not count towards the minor
- At least 9 of the 15 credits for the minor must be taken at UMass Amherst or through UMass Amherst UWW courses. This means that at least 3 of the 5 courses must be UMass Amherst courses.
- No requirements for the minor may be taken pass/fail.
- Courses used towards the psychology minor may be used for other graduation requirements, such as gen eds.
- Seniors completing courses for the minor during their last semester will see the minor posted on their final UMass transcript.
- Minors do not appear on your UMass diploma
Prior to graduation submit an online Declaration of Minor form.
NEW POLICY: APPLICATION OF COURSES TOWARDS MULTIPLE CREDENTIALS No more than two courses used to fulfill the requirements of any one credential may be applied towards the fulfillment of another credential, wherein “credential” is defined as an academic degree program (major), minor, or certificate. One course may only be applied to two credentials.
NOTE: DECLARATION OF MINOR FORMS ARE COMPLETED ONLINE AND NO LONGER GO TO THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE.