UMass Amherst is committed to supporting equity and inclusion in all aspects of faculty life through:
- A rigorous approach to recruiting a diverse faculty, including comprehensive search committee training and support
- Targeted programs aimed at attracting top faculty from diverse backgrounds
- An inclusive view of faculty development and advancement, which foregrounds mentoring and community building as central features of faculty success
- Developing programs that will help faculty at all career stages reach their professional development goals
- Aiding colleges and departments in conducting regular self-assessment, and provide an array of resources to foster inclusive practices toward faculty engagement and advancement.
Amel Ahmed is the Associate Provost for Equity and Inclusion in the Office of the Provost. In this role, she is responsible for creating and supporting diversity and inclusion initiatives to support an inclusive campus climate in the academic sphere. She leads faculty of color outreach and engagement efforts to promote intellectual community and comradery. Amel supports diversity, inclusivity, and equity goals within schools and colleges, serving as a partner to diversity officers. She serves as a key resource for faculty search and recruitment efforts leading the Strategies and Tactics for Recruiting to Increase Diversity and Excellence (STRIDE) Faculty Recruitment Workshops to minimize bias and promote best practices to recruit for diversity and excellence across every stage in the search process. Amel works with campus partners to support inclusive teaching practices in the classroom and supports co-curricular initiatives to promote learning beyond the classroom walls. She is also an Associate Professor of Political Science and specializes in democratic studies, looking particularly at the politics of institutional choice in the process of democratization.