In spring 2023, UMass Amherst announced Canvas will become the official learning management system (LMS) for on-campus and online courses.
- Canvas provides an accessible and inclusive experience, centered on ease of use for students and instructors.
- A mobile-first platform with customizable options, Canvas offers students true flexibility in how and where they learn.
- Canvas is a robust and reliable system that integrates easily with other technologies at UMass Amherst.
- A single, university-wide LMS reduces complexity and simplifies the learning and teaching experience for students and faculty.
From Moodle & Blackboard to Canvas
- The transition will take place over 2 years, starting in fall 2023.
- An automated data transfer service will help move your course content from Moodle or Blackboard.
- Multiple training opportunities will be available, in person and virtual, one-on-one and in groups.
Canvas is the leading LMS among public research universities and stands out for its flexibility, ease of use, and mobile capabilities.
- Peer institutions review
- Strategic horizons in higher ed
- 25+ listening sessions
(118 participants, 46 hours)
- Strategic vision & technical alignment
- Platform evaluations
- Vendor engagement
- More feedback sessions
- Single LMS selected
- Canvas pilot (~200 students)
- Multi-year transition strategy: Canvas to replace Moodle & Blackboard
- Training opportunities available
Design & Test
- Technical infrastructure setup
- Canvas pilots continue
Transition Begins & Continues Through 2024
- Courses begin moving to Canvas
- Automated course
Feedback and Engagement