UMass Amherst Procurement Transition
The UMass Amherst Procurement Department has transitioned to the Unified Procurement Services Team (UPST) in the UMass President’s Office.
For information regarding the UPST go to: https://www.umassp.edu/better-together/projects/shared-services-project.
For all Procrd questions please email the UPST: upst [at] umassp.edu.
The UMass Amherst Procurement Credit Card Program (UMass Procard) is a tool that offers an alternative to the online procurement/payment processes. It provides an efficient and effective method to purchase and pay for consumable commodities of smaller dollar value. The card issued is a MasterCard credit card, and it is issued in the name of the participating employee. The Procard concept is designed to delegate authority and responsibility, to enable quick and convenient purchasing of approved commodities up to defined spending limits directly from those vendors that accept the MasterCard credit card.
Procurement Audit Questions/Issues: The Controller's Office audits the Procard. Refer to the Controller's Office Procard Audit Policy.
Contact us at procard [at] umass.edu with questions about training, applications, exception requests, changes and transactions declines. Contact Angel Falcon of the Controller's Office with questions about records retention and audit responses.
Benefits to the Cardholder
- Eliminates the need for purchase orders for small purchases of consumable supplies and some select services.
- Allows purchases much faster and easier than with the traditional purchase/payment methods.
- Eliminates the approval process that exists within the online purchasing system.
- Eliminates the need for obtaining vendor codes.
Benefits to the University
- Enables Procurement and Accounts Payable to focus on higher yield, more value added activities, such as the creation of more and improved contracts and the timely processing of invoices and payments.
- Dramatically reduces the number of purchase orders, invoices, and checks.
- Saves the costs associated with processing purchase orders and payments.
- Reduces the number of vendors in the University's Vendor File and related maintenance.
The Procard simplifies the process for the purchase and payment of goods. Purchasing authority is delegated to the authorized Cardholder, enabling the Cardholder to order materials directly from the supplier. When the goods are received, the Cardholder saves the packing list (or whatever documentation is available from the vendor to show the proof of purchase (itemized). Once a month, the Cardholder downloads a statement from the bank that lists all the Cardholder's purchase transactions. The Cardholder will reconcile the documentation to the monthly statement and place it on file for audit purposes. It's that easy! The Procard is designed to be used for purchases of consumable supplies and select services related to University business only. Use of the card for personal purchases is strictly prohibited. The Procurement Department and Accounts Payable are responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the Procard Program.