The Utilities team plans for University of Massachusetts’ future energy needs while it maintains electricity, heating, and cooling resources for the campus on a daily basis. This group runs the Central Heating Plant, which produces most of the electricity, steam, and chilled water used on campus.
Central Heating Plant (CHP)
Plant Manager: Steve Lemay
Provides steam heat and electrical power to campus by means of a combine cycle plant. The Central Heating Plant has three boilers, capable of firing natural gas and ultra-low number two fuel oil at 125,000 pounds per hour each and one heat recovery steam generator for an additional 100,000 pounds per hour. Total annual steam generated approaches 1.2 billion pounds. Electrical power is supplied by two generators that can produce a total of 14 megawatts. One generator is driven by a combustion turbine; the other is driven by a steam turbine.
Electrical Supervisor: Dave Schoen
Provides oversight of exterior electrical distribution system for all campus buildings involving the distribution of 20 Megawatts of power with an an approximant yearly usage of 112,000,000 kwh at an annual cost of roughly $7.7 Million. Provides maintenance and repair of all system components: transformers, switches, poles, street lights, traffic lights, breakers, transfers, and associate equipment. Works closely with off-campus utilities (Western Electric) to insure continuity of quality and quantity of power is maintained.
Mechanical Supervisor: Tom Fydenkevez
- Dig Safe: Manages the campus Dig Safe program for on-campus Dig Safe requests.
- Steam: Maintains and repairs the 26 miles of the campus steam distribution and condensate return systems; replaces steamlines; perform the annual steam shutdown maintenance project.
- Water: Maintains and repairs the 35 miles of the campus water distribution system; provides all backflow prevention protection for the campus; maintains and repairs campus irrigation systems; and maintains and repairs campus fire hydrants.
- Sewer: Maintains and repairs the campus sewer system from the building outlet to Town of Amherst sewerage treatment plant.
- Storm water: Maintains and repairs the campus storm water piping and catch basin system; works with Design & Construction Management on new capital projects (i.e., steamline replacements, roadways, and new buildings).
Campus Electrical Utility Engineer
Steve monitors and analizes campus electrical energy and power quality; he provides engineering support for campus electrical systems maintenance and operation. He also oversees building commissioning and electrical utility design standards.
Campus Metering and Controls Engineer
Sergey installs, calibrates, and maintains campus electrical metering systems and provides monthly campus utilities usage reports. He leads the engineering design and project management of campus controls systems. Sergey also provides electrical controls system support to the Central Heating Plant.
CHP Maintenance Manager
Darren provides maintenance direction and leadership for the Central Heating Plant operations and maintenance staff. He manages planned maintenance work tasks and major plant equipment outages. In addition, Darren oversees and manages the CHP parts inventory.
Campus Water Treatment
Janie is a Technical Specialist II for Physical Plant Utilities. She bioscans the cooling system water of every building on campus for bacteria each week and invites anyone who would like to take a tour of the water treatment program to call her at 545-3454.