How to Reach Representatives
National Priorities Project: Guide to Contacting Your Representative
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts: Senate Committees
Tips from PEP Policy Panel
- Think about your areas of expertise: in what areas are you an authority?
- Recognize that most legislators start their policy work in town governments; one way to form relationships and build your network is to connect with legislators at the local level.
- Prepare press releases for your work (see "writing for non-academic audiences" panel).
- Check on the standing committees in your state legislature; see if any of your areas of expertise match these committees’ current interests.
- Note that the bills that are assigned to each committee are listed on the state legislature’s website: check to see whether you have policy-research match.