Declaring the Major
You must come to the Psychology Advising Center in Tobin 501 during specific hours designated to sign in to the major; please see the hours posted below. Please bring the following items with you:
- Transcript. Please bring a copy of your transcript and your academic requirements report (ARR) and highlight all psychology courses on your transcript.
- When you meet with an advisor, you will complete the declaration of major form.
Please do not wait until your registration period for an upcoming semester to declare your major; classes fill quickly and you will not be allowed to register until your major is officially changed.
To join the psychology major, please see the graduate student advisor, in Tobin 501.
Semester Hours to Declare a Psych Major; no appointments necessary, just drop in during these times.
Spring 2020 Hours will Begin on January 21 with the start of the spring semester.
Check back from spring 2020 hours.
If you would like to join the Neuroscience track, in addition to declaring the BS in Psych as your major, you must sign in with one of the Neuroscience advisors (and you must have a 3.0 GPA). You can find their hours here.
Declaring the Minor
Prior to graduation submit an online Declaration of Minor form. The Psychology minor can be declared as soon as you are officially enrolled in your last psychology course(s). The minor will not appear on your SPIRE transcript until all courses have been successfully completed and graded. Once you’re graded for your final course, you can find your minor posted on your unofficial transcript or under student services center on SPIRE. The minor must be declared prior to graduation. Questions regarding the online form can be directed to Laurie Dove in Tobin 509.
Psychology minor requirements
- Students who wish to pursue a minor in psychology need to complete 5 courses (a minimum of 3-credits per course) totaling at least 15 graded credits in psychology.
- The psychology minor does not have specific course requirements, but prerequisites will not be waived for minors
- Psych 100 is a prerequisite for all psychology courses
AP Psych credit cannot replace one of the 5 courses required for the minor
- AP credit for Psych 100 satisfies the prerequisite but it will not count toward the minor, students with Psych 100 AP credit can enroll in 5 classes above Psych 100 to complete the minor
- Check SPIRE for course restrictions; restrictions will not be lifted for minors
- All courses counted toward the minor must have a grade of C or better (no exceptions).
- Practicum courses (Psych 398) will not count towards the minor
- At least 9 of the 15 credits for the minor must be taken at UMass Amherst or UMass Amherst Continuing and Professional Education.
- No requirements for the minor may be taken pass/fail.
- Courses used towards the psychology minor may be used for other graduation requirements, such as gen eds.
- Seniors completing courses for the minor during their last semester will see the minor posted on their final UMass transcript.
- Minors do not appear on your UMass diploma
NOTE: DECLARATION OF MINOR FORMS ARE COMPLETED ONLINE AND NO LONGER GO TO THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE.