Declaring the Minor
Prior to graduation submit an online Declaration of Minor form. The Psychology minor can be declared as soon as you are officially enrolled in your last psychology course(s). The minor will not appear on your SPIRE transcript until all courses have been successfully completed and graded. Once you’re graded for your final course, you can find your minor posted on your unofficial transcript or under student services center on SPIRE. The minor must be declared prior to graduation. Questions regarding the online form can be directed to Laurie Dove in Tobin 509.
Psychology minor requirements
- Students who wish to pursue a minor in psychology need to complete 5 courses (a minimum of 3-credits per course) totaling at least 15 graded credits in psychology.
- The psychology minor does not have specific course requirements, but prerequisites will not be waived for minors
- Psych 100 is a prerequisite for all psychology courses
AP Psych credit cannot replace one of the 5 courses required for the minor
- AP credit for Psych 100 satisfies the prerequisite but it will not count toward the minor, students with Psych 100 AP credit can enroll in 5 classes above Psych 100 to complete the minor
- Check SPIRE for course restrictions; restrictions will not be lifted for minors
- All courses counted toward the minor must have a grade of C or better (no exceptions).
- Practicum courses (Psych 398) will not count towards the minor
- At least 9 of the 15 credits for the minor must be taken at UMass Amherst or UMass Amherst Continuing and Professional Education.
- No requirements for the minor may be taken pass/fail.
- Courses used towards the psychology minor may be used for other graduation requirements, such as gen eds.
- Seniors completing courses for the minor during their last semester will see the minor posted on their final UMass transcript.
- Minors do not appear on your UMass diploma
NOTE: DECLARATION OF MINOR FORMS ARE COMPLETED ONLINE AND NO LONGER GO TO THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE.