Visit our Requirements link on the PBS website for more information
Students can major in psychology in two different ways, earning either BA or BS, with additional concentrations and specializations available to suit your interests.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) The most common method is the Bachelor of Arts (BA), suitable for students interested in general psychology and taking a foreign language.
Bachelor of Science (BS) Students with a strong science background, taking many science and math courses, can select the Bachelor of Science (BS) in one of two ways.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in General Psychology: Provides a broad exploration of psychology
- Bachelor of Science (BS) Neuroscience Track: Provides an exploration of the brain sciences.
You can download a checklist of the major requirements for the General Psychology BA/BS.
Specialized Programs The department also offers additional specializations including Honors, Diversity, Disabilities, and Modeling. Click to view our specialized programs.
Psychology minor requirements:
- Students who wish to pursue a minor in psychology need to complete 5 classes totaling at least 15 graded credits in psychology.
- All courses counted toward the minor must have a grade of C or better (no exceptions).
- Practicum courses (Psych 398) are not counted toward the minor.
- At least 9 of the 15 credits for the minor must be taken at UMass Amherst or UMass Amherst Continuing and Professional Education.
- AP Psych credit may not be used toward the minor.
- No requirements for the minor may be taken pass/fail.
- More information on declaring the minor.