Parent and Family Checklist

Finances  |  Health  |  Safety  |  Move In  |  Technology  |  Staying in Touch


FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
Be sure to complete the FAFSA forms through their website, for the academic year. This is required to receive any financial aid awards including the John and Abigail Adams tuition waiver. The FAFSA must be completed each year.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
FERPA is a federal law protecting the confidentiality of student’s records. In order to obtain information about your student’s bill, financial aid, and housing, you must be given permission from your student. The FERPA waiver can be filled out by your student through SPIRE to designate up to 4 people who can discuss their information with the university offices.

Authorized Payer
Your student can sign you up to be an authorized payer, giving you access to their bills, payments, and UPay account. This can be done through QuikPAY under the ‘Authorized Payers’ tab on the left hand side.

UPay Payment Plan
This interest free payment plan gives you the option to pay your bill on a monthly basis. There is a $55 enrollment fee and the deadline to sign up is the first day of classes.

Excess Express
If your student has a positive balance on their bill, the balance can be direct deposited into the bank account of their choice through Excess Express. Talk with your student about how to handle possible excess and sign up in SPIRE.

Make Adjustments to Your Bill – Waivers and Meal Plans
There are some waivable fees that appear on each bill. Talk with your student about whether or not you will waive the MassPIRG and Child Care fees.

Your student may also want to adjust their meal plan, which will change the charges on the bill. View Meal Plan options through UMass Dining and have your student make any adjustments in SPIRE.

[ back to top ]


Health Insurance Waiver
If your student is covered under your health insurance plan, they may be able to waive university-sponsored health insurance. A link to the online waiver site is located in the lower right hand corner of the SPIRE login page.

New Student Immunizations
All entering students need to submit proof of immunizations. Forms must be submitted by the end of the add/drop period or a hold will be placed on your student’s SPIRE account preventing course registration for the next semester.

Consent to Treat Minor Patients
If your student will enroll at UMass Amherst before their 18th birthday, you will need to file a Consent to Treat Minor Patients form with University Health Services.

All new students need to complete the AlcoholEdu online health education course. Remind your student to take the course before they move to campus and get too busy!


Emergency Notification System
Students can enroll themselves in UMass Amherst Alerts on SPIRE to receive emergency text messages. The text messaging service is only available to students, faculty, and staff to allow for timely distribution in an emergency.

Parents will be alerted of any on-going emergency situations through the Office of Parent Services email list. Please be sure to subscribe!

YIS: Your Intervention Strategies Preventing Sexual Assault, Relationship Violence and Stalking
All new students need to complete YIS the online module designed to meet federal mandates of the Campus Sexual Violence (SaVE) Act, which requires all new students receive primary prevention programming to prevent sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking. Remind your student to take the course before they move to campus and get too busy!

[ back to top ]

Move In

Residential Life - Planning for Move-In
Students living on-campus need to plan carefully for move-in. Students can find important information such as video tutorials for how to pack for move-in; how to make a reservation; and information on the Luggage program for out-of-state families on the Residential Life website.

Opening and Closing - Plan for breaks and upcoming semesters:  See information on next page.

It’s also important to know that the residence halls close for several breaks during the year:  Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Break closing information is posted online.  Make sure you touch base with your student about their  plans for the various breaks to minimize surprise expenses for plane and bus tickets!

Technology at UMass Amherst

While the university does not require students to bring a computer to campus, most students do. Check out the Office of Information Technologies' Family Guide for more details.

Staying In Touch

Communication and Break Plans
Communication has become instant and while text messages and emails are quick and convenient, it’s also important to have regular telephone calls or video chats where you can really hear how your student is doing. Before you send your student off to UMass be sure to have a conversation about how often you want to hear from each other.

New Parents - Enroll with the Office of Parent Services
If you didn’t attend Parent and Family Orientation, be sure to sign up with the Office of Parent Services to receive regular E-Newsletter about important dates, campus happenings, and talking points to share with your student. Sign up here

[ back to top ]