Residential Life is happy to welcome back students for fall 2019! As the beginning of the semester approaches, students will be packing their belongings and preparing to move into their new home for the next few months.
Download the My UMass App
Don’t forget to download the My UMass App! This app includes specific sections for all on campus students and their families and includes links to interactive maps, helpful online videos and resources, access to our up-to-date calendar for 2019-2020, and important notifications before and during Move-In. Once the app is downloaded you can select the “Parent/Family” persona to receive information and notifications specifically for families.
As of August 15, students can complete their Move-In Reservation and print their boarding pass on SPIRE. UMass works with a professional moving company to move in students living in Southwest Towers and the Commonwealth Honors College Residential Community. Students living in these areas will be assigned a Move-In reservation time.
All assigned students must complete a Move-In Reservation and print their boarding pass. If your student is holding an assignment and is no longer planning to live on campus, have them contact Residential Life Student Services as soon as possible to avoid an increase in the cancellation fee on July 31.
Students who are part of an approved early arrival group with a move-in day before Friday, August 30 will check in at a Residential Service Desk. For more information about check-in for a specific early arrival group please view the Move-In website.
On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, students will check-in through our centralized Move-In process. Students don’t even need to get out of their car to receive their key! As students arrive at their check-in location, they should have their boarding pass and UCard ready in order to receive their room key.
Students will then be ready to go directly to their hall! Once students arrive at their hall, student Minute Movers or USS staff will unload your student’s belongings and move them directly to your student’s room.
Important: Only one car will be granted access to the residence hall. The student must be in the car to be unloaded at the hall. If you are bringing a second car, it will be directed to a parking lot near the student’s residential area.
Students will move in by group on the following days:
Approved Early Arrival Groups: August 28 and 29*
- Summer transitions, Jump!, Power Up, Minute Movers, Approved NSO volunteers, IPO Orientation, and Graduate students with early arrival will move in on August 28. Additional Minute Movers, NSO volunteers, FreshFest, and Kennedy and Cance residents with Thursday move-in times will move in on August 29
First-Year Students: Friday, August 30, 8am-5pm
- Kennedy and Cance residents also have reservation times available on August 30 from 4pm-7pm.
Transfer Students: Saturday, August 31, 8am-2pm
- All transfer students will move in on Saturday, August 31.
Multi-Year Students: Sunday, September 1, 8am-5pm
- Residents of North Apartments, Southwest Tower floors 15-22, ground and 4th floors of Patterson and MacKimmie will all move in on Saturday, August 31, 8am-2pm.
Monday, September 2, 8:30am – 10pm*
- Students may also check-in at their Residential Service Desk on Monday, September 2.
*Move-In assistance is not available on these days or after scheduled Move-In hours on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
For more information on Fall Move-In, including driving directions, parking locations, and helpful tips for packing to arrive on campus visit the Move-In Website.
New2U and Living Sustainably at UMass
Recycling in the halls and on campus is expected of everyone. All students have a recycling bin in their residence hall room. All recyclable materials are placed in the same bin, making the recycling process simple.
The New2U Tag Sale is a great way to contribute to sustainability on campus during Move-In weekend. The Sale will be located in the Curry Hicks Gymnasium on September 1 from 9am – 6pm. Everything from futons and fridges to storage bins and school supplies will be sold at heavily discounted prices!
Help your student contribute to sustainability by encouraging them to:
- Familiarize themselves with the recycling guidelines.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and refill it at the Hydration Stations located in every Residence Hall and throughout campus. The filtered water is better for them, their storage space, and the planet, so remind them to leave disposable plastic water bottles at home!
We can’t wait to welcome you and your student to campus!