This scholarship was established in 2013 by James J. Karam, president and founder of First Bristol Corporation, a New England real estate development company. He is on the Board of Directors of Steward Health Care System, the largest community for-profit health care system in New England, and was formerly Chair of the UMass Board of Trustees. Mr. Karam also serves on the Board of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the U.S. Senate in Boston and is an alumnus of UMass Dartmouth. Eligibility
- Be currently enrolled full time at one of the UMass campuses; or high school seniors applying to any UMass campus.
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above with a minimum of 12 credits earned at the University (if a current UMass student).
- Incoming freshmen shall have a GPA of at least 3.25 from high school. The Scholarship is contingent upon matriculation at UMass.
- Demonstrate financial need of at least $4,000 as defined by the financial aid office.
- Be a permanent resident of the south coast of Massachusetts (Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Fall River, Freetown, New Bedford, Somerset, Swansea, and Westport). Students may also be a resident of the town of Tiverton, Rhode Island.
- All majors are eligible, as well as students who have yet to declare a major.
Application In addition to the James J. Karam Scholarship Application Form, students must submit the following as PDF attachments in an email to ONSA@honors.umass.edu before March 1st. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All emailed materials must include the student's name and SPIRE ID number.
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Letter of recommendation
- Essay that discusses an accomplishment or event—formal or informal—that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family (500–750 words in length).
Award Details The scholarship is an award of $5,000 each to five deserving students who meet eligibility requirements. Back to UMass Presidential and Alumni Scholarships.