At A Glance...
Seniors and graduate students; U.S. citizens
U.K./Ireland Pre-Application must be completed and submitted by June 1.
Graduate degree at University of Oxford, England
The Rhodes Scholarship supports exceptional, well-rounded students with promising leadership potential and a commitment to public service who plan to enroll in any graduate degree program at the University of Oxford. The Rhodes is the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious international graduate scholarship program in the world. The foundation seeks to develop outstanding leaders who are committed to the common good and who will promote international understanding and peace. The scholarship covers all university and college fees for one to two years, plus a personal stipend and airfare to and from the U.K.
- U.S. citizen or citizen of a qualifying Rhodes country (link to https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/apply/)
- Lawful permanent resident of the United States prior to the application deadline, including at least the last 5 years (U.S. applicants only)
- At least 18, but not yet 24 years of age
- Completion of a bachelor's degree before beginning studies at Oxford
- Record of literary and scholastic achievement beyond outstanding grades
- Strong moral character: truth, courage, devotion to public duty, humility
- Ambitious vision, the drive to make that vision a reality, and the ability to inspire others
- Energy to use one's talents to the fullest (demonstrated by extracurricular strength, such as in sport, debate, music, dance, etc.)
- Rationale for the chosen program of study at Oxford and a clear link with future goals
- 5-8 recommendation letters, 4 of which must be from individuals who have instructed you academically at the university level. Share this important information with your recommenders: Instructions for Recommenders: U.K. & Ireland Awards.
- 1,000 word personal statement
- A list of principal activities (a focused resume or CV)
- Evidence of age (e.g., birth certificate or passport)
- Certified transcript (or transcripts)
- Passport-size photograph
- Proof of citizenship
- English language proficiency (if English is not the applicant’s first language)
All applicants MUST be nominated by their college or university. As such, UMass applicants must apply through ONSA.
ONSA staff encourage you to set an advising appointment during the spring semester to discuss your eligibility and competitiveness for the UK/Ireland scholarships. After discussing with us your academic record and leadership experience for these highly competitive scholarships, students will pre-apply with ONSA by June 1.
The pre-application process officially informs ONSA about your application plan and allows students to start working early on their applications.
After June 1 pre-application deadline, you will work on your essays, which will allow you to move forward with a full application for the campus endorsement process. In some cases, we may recommend that you consider other opportunities that are a better fit. U.K./Ireland Scholarships Pre-Application (If you need assistance with this PDF file, please call 413-577-2615 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
APPLY with ONSA by August 15:
Finalize your Rhodes application on the national website. We will access your application from there.
THE CAMPUS DEADLINE OF AUGUST 15 IS REQUIRED. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS AFTER THIS DATE.
After August 15, we will review your application and inform you if you will be endorsed for the national competition.