State Authorization and Complaints

SPIRE Outage
UMass Student Information System, SPIRE, will be unavailable Fri., 7/3 5PM EST - Sun., 7/5 5PM EST. Please plan accordingly.

UMASS AMHERST ACCEPTS STUDENTS FROM ALL 50 STATES INTO ONLINE PROGRAMS AND CLASSES. Some restrictions may apply to programs related to professional licensure (e.g., nursing, education). For details, check the program's website.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA):  The University of Massachusetts Amherst operates distance education classes and programs for out-of-state students under the terms and provisions of SARA.  Please see for a list of participating states and territories.

California Students:  The state of California allows all public institutions to offer distance education to its residents.


UMass Amherst aims to resolve all student complaints in a fair and expedient manner. Students wishing to file a complaint about an online course are encouraged to first contact the department chair or dean of the school or college offering the online program. The next step is to follow the formal Academic Grievance Procedure (see also the Graduate School Academic Grievance Procedure). Begin the formal grievance procedure by completing the Notice of Academic Grievance Form. Notice of Academic Grievance Form.  Students can also receive assistance from the Ombuds Office.

In the event that a student complaint is not satisfactorily resolved through the institutional procedures, the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education provides a general consumer complaint form which is available to online and in-person students who reside in Massachusetts and is available at

If online students residing in another state wish to file a formal complaint with their home state authorizing agency after exhausting internal avenues, they may do so using the contact information listed below.

For students residing in: California

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Center
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, California 95834
Telephone: (833) 942-1120

Students may also:

All other U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

The University of Massachusetts operates distance education programs under the policies and procedures of the National Council for State Authorization Agreements (SARA).In accordance with the Agreement, if a person bringing a complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process for handling complaints, the complaint (except for complaints about grades or student conduct violations) may be appealed, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (MA DHE) which is the SARA portal for Massachusetts SARA member institutions. The MA DHE's SARA Complaint procedure/forms can be found at the following URL: The resolution of the complaint by the institution’s home state SARA portal entity, through its SARA complaint resolution process, will be final.

Hit Enter to search or "ESC" to close

Class Search

Use our interactive class finder to search by subject, program, term, and more!

Quick Links

Looking for important dates? Or do you need to fill out a specific form?

Search UMass Amherst

Find info from across all UMass Amherst departments and programs.