How to Enroll

New or Returning Students

  • New student: Student who has applied for admission to a program but wishes to take classes for academic credit before their official admit term, or a non-degree student who wishes to take a class for academic credit.

Returning student: Student who has an academic record at UMass Amherst, but has not taken classes recently.

Step 1: Review exceptions (below) to determine if any apply 

Step 2: If exceptions don't apply, complete Non-Degree Enrollment Application. Within two business days, you will be emailed credentials which will allow you to log into SPIRE (our student information system). If applicable, please make sure that you are logged out of SPIRE before attempting to access the Non-Degree Enrollment Application. NOTE:  Due to the time that it takes to process this form, the deadline for submission for Summer Session is Wednesday, 7/8 5:00PM EST.

Step 3: Log into SPIRE to get a UWW Enrollment Appointment.

Step 4: Self-enroll in UWW classes in SPIRE. Click for a tutorial.

Current Students

If you are an active student, please enroll in classes in SPIRE.

Step 1: Review exceptions (below) to determine if any apply

Step 2: If exceptions don't apply, Log into SPIRE to get a UWW Enrollment Appointment.

Step 3: Self-enroll in UWW classes in SPIRE.


Student who wishes to enroll in:

Late Add

Student who wishes to enroll in a class AFTER the Add/Drop period has ended should contact one of the following:

  • Undergraduates - Contact your Academic Dean
  • Graduates - Contact the Graduate Program Director
  • Non-Degrees - Contact a UWW Advisor at or 413-545-3430

An email should be sent by the contact to the UWW Registration Office at giving their approval and should include:

Student Name
Subject and Catalog # (e.g. BIOLOGY 103)
5-digit Class Number

Once approval is received, the student will be enrolled in the class and receive an email confirmation.

Drop a Class

Please refer to our Drop a Class page for more information.


Review our Enrollment FAQs or contact us at or call 413-545-3653 or 800-922-8211

Hit Enter to search or "ESC" to close

Class Search

Use our interactive class finder to search by subject, program, term, and more!

Quick Links

Looking for important dates? Or do you need to fill out a specific form?

Search UMass Amherst

Find info from across all UMass Amherst departments and programs.