Instructional Design & Faculty Development
Instructional designers are available to assist online faculty with their courses. Contact the faculty support line by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 413-577-3434 (option 1) for:
- Advice on implementing research-based best practices for teaching online.
- Assistance building your course in Blackboard Learn prior to the semester in which your course will run.
- Help with writing learning outcomes, designing assessments, and creating activities to improve student engagement.
- A review of your course (Reviews must be scheduled to take place at least 2 weeks in advance of the official start date of the course).
- Accessibility improvements for your course and course materials.
- General advice on integrating 3rd-party technologies into your online course.
At Online Education, we have a dedicated team for online faculty development (OFD) with members coming from rich backgrounds in learning theories and applications, educational technology, as well as instructional design.
The team provides UMass online faculty with a variety of opportunities to become familiar with or refresh their understanding of the learning management system, university policies, campus resources, and most of all best practices for online teaching.
Visit the OFD website for more information.
Specialized on-campus support is available for instructors during normal business hours at email@example.com or by phone at 413-577-3434 (option 2). The Support Team can provide assistance with Blackboard Learn (Discussions, Groups, Grading, etc.), Echo360 Universal Capture, and other technology integrations during the semester in which your course is running.
- Help For Instructors - Step-by-step walkthroughs for instructors on how to use Blackboard Learn, SPIRE, and Course Technology.
- Blackboard Course Shell Request - Instructions for requesting a Blackboard Course Shell in SPIRE.
- Student Orientation & Resource Area - Step-by-step walkthroughs for students on navigating Blackboard Learn, Echo360, and VoiceThread.
Instructor support for Moodle courses is available through the Instructional Media Lab. Technical support for Moodle courses is provided by UMass Amherst Information Technology. The Moodle Knowledge Base contains step-by-step walkthroughs for building your course and solutions to common issues.
- Moodle Help for instructors - Step-by-step instructors for instructors on how to use Moodle.
- Moodle Help for Students - Includes step-by-step instruction for students as well as narrated tutorials.
- Moodle Course Request in SPIRE - Instructions for requesting a Moodle Course in SPIRE.
- Give Students Access to Library Course Materials through Moodle.
- Give Students Access to Echo360 Recordings through Moodle
Contact the Online Learning support team to set up a course design consult with an Instructional Designer or with general questions regarding Multimodal at UMass at firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 577-3434 (option 1).
Please visit the Multimodal at UMass website for additional information and resources on multimodal course design.
Instructional Technologists provide assistance with user and course administration, as well as system tools and integration inquiries. Please contact email@example.com or 413-545-9583 with any questions regarding:
- Assistance with Blackboard course shell requests and creation.
- Content management inquires, including course archive retrieval and restoration.
- Deployment and testing of online course tools and LMS integrations.
- Systems monitoring, reporting, and feature updates.