Undergraduate degree program application deadline for Spring has been extended to 11/1.

Information for Active Military and Veterans

What type of financial aid or other benefits may I be eligible for?

Whether you are applying to a degree program or are interested in pursuing a certificate, you may be eligible for financial aid. Please contact Lynn at or 413-545-5792 to find out about aid-eligibility requirements and benefits.

How do I apply for undergraduate programs offered through University Without Walls (UWW), formerly Continuing & Professional Education (CPE)?

Apply for UWW programs using our secure online admissions application.

If you wish to apply for a:

Graduate program: Visit Graduate Admissions or email
Day Division program: Visit Undergraduate Admissions or email

Am I eligible for an application fee waiver?

You must submit either a Joint Services Transcript (JST), CCAF or DD214 in order to be eligible for the waiver.

What additional materials do I need to submit?

See the Admissions Application Instructions for the materials that are required for each program.

You are required to submit official college transcripts from all colleges you have previously attended, regardless of whether credit is desired. UMass Amherst accepts electronic transcripts from official third parties (eScrip-Safe, Parchment, etc.) or directly from the Registrar's office of the issuing school. Student-submitted transcripts are not accepted. Transcripts can be sent to the UWW Admissions office, UMass Amherst, 350 Campus Center Way, Amherst, MA 01003-2902.

NOTE: Military transcripts are not required for the application process (except for the Community College of the Air Force) unless you are seeking transfer credit for military credits.

How do I get military credits to apply to my degree?

You can arrange for us to receive an official copy of your military/test transcript:

Request JST military transcript
Request DANTES transcript
Request CLEP transcript

UMass Amherst accepts electronic military (joint service) transcripts.

Which of my military credits will transfer to UMass Amherst?

UMass Amherst uses the American Council on Education (ACE), CLEP and DSST guidelines and applies the same standards to credits for military education as those applied to coursework from accredited colleges and universities. If ACE indicates that military credits are vocational in nature and are applicable to associate degree programs only (e.g. mechanical repair credits), then those credits will not transfer to UMass Amherst. However, if ACE indicates that military credits are applicable to baccalaureate programs (e.g. primary leadership credits), then transfer credit is possible.

How will I know which credits transfer after sending an official military transcript?

Military credits are posted to official UMass Amherst student records after students commit to enrollment. However, veterans wanting earlier notification about military credits may (1) arrange for the Undergraduate Admissions Office to receive an official military transcript (2) contact Eric Lewison, Transfer Credit Evaluator, for military credit information at or 413-545-0222.

If applicable, how will my military credits apply to my bachelor's degree?

A minimum of 120 credits is required for a bachelor's degree. Of them, 45 must be UMass Amherst degree-seeking credits and the rest may be transfer credits, including test credits and military credits. UMass Amherst UWW bachelor's degrees have the following components: (1) general education requirements (approximately 1/3 of the degree requirements); (2) major requirements; and (3) electives.

In general, military credits are used for electives towards a degree. However, with the approval of a faculty advisor, they may be used towards the major as well. Some normally non-transferable military credits may also be applied towards the degree after enrollment in the University Without Walls Degree Completion program (only), with approval and if related to major.

When will notification be sent regarding an admission decision?

Complete applications (all required materials have been received) are reviewed in the order in which they are received.

The Accelerated Bachelor's in Nursing program sends notification of admission decision in March. All other programs send notification within 3-4 weeks of receipt of all application materials.


UWW Admissions Office
UMass Amherst
350 Campus Center Way
Amherst, MA 01003-2902

Program Questions? Contact department:

Isenberg School of Management

University Without Walls Degree Completion Program

School of Nursing
Accelerated Bachelor's - 413-577-2322
RN to BS - 413-545-5096

For more information on military benefits, please contact Lynn Gates at, 413-545-5792 or visit the Veterans Services website.

Hit Enter to search or "ESC" to close

Class Search

Use our interactive class finder to search by subject, program, term, and more!

Quick Links

Looking for important dates? Or do you need to fill out a specific form?

Search UMass Amherst

Find info from across all UMass Amherst departments and programs.