Be safety-aware! Rental units in Amherst must have a town-issued permit, renewed each year, and owners must at the very least complete a self-inspection checklist for the town. Owners must also provide a sheet to tenants each year outlining key local regulations. Basic health and safety requirements for your apartment include:
- Working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Working locks on all exterior doors
- All exits must be kept free from obstruction
- Handrails on all stairways
- Compliance with unit occupancy limits. In Amherst, the limit is 4 people. In Hadley, 5.
Remember: it is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure their units are in compliance with all codes at all times. If you feel your apartment does not comply with local safety codes, reach out to your local board of health and ask for an inspection. All units are subject to town inspection upon request by a tenant. Your landlord must begin repairs or contract workers within five days of notification from an enforcement agency.