New Student Orientation is the best way to meet the people and learn about the requirements and resources that will help you make decisions about your first semester at UMass. Whether you choose a one day session, a two day session, or an online orientation you will:
- Make connections with classmates, student leaders, academic advisors, and other university staff members.
- Meet with an academic advisor
- Register for classes
- Complete your housing preference application
Take part in a variety of presentations and activities or learning modules to help you better understand
- academic expectations for the university, your college, and your major to guide you on the path to graduation;
- opportunities for engagement in campus life to create a balanced experience inside and outside the classroom; and
- the values, community standards, and responsibilities that keep our campus safe, healthy, and welcoming for all.
This year, twelve first-year orientation sessions and an online option are offered:
- Special one day sessions are open to all, but may be best for students who: commute; have work or family responsibilities; are 23 or over; or who are already familiar with a campus residential experience.
- Traditional two-day sessions offer added opportunities to discover and experience the campus, including staying in the residence halls, eating in the dining halls, and learning to find your way around.
- Online orientation is packed with all the same helpful information and resources you would get in person, but can be done at your own pace over the summer. Online orientation participants get one-on-one advising and registration support just as they would in person.
It's time to choose your date online to tell us which session you’re attending!