Track Your Orientation & Transition Progress
This checklist outlines the initial steps students admitted for Fall 2022 take during your transition to the UMass Amherst community. The checklist will be updated throughout the spring and summer as more details are confirmed.
Need help? We are here for you all along the way.
1. Commit to UMass & Get Ready
- Pay your $500 enrollment deposit.
- Log in to SPIRE and enter required emergency contact information before you can register for orientation.
- Opt In To UMass Amherst Alerts Sign up to receive UMass Amherst Alerts emergency text messages. Each time you log into SPIRE a reminder will appear until you either enroll or opt out. You can also enter a secondary email and cell phone number if a family member would like to receive alerts.
- Set up and check your UMass email account regularly. This is the official mode of communication between UMass and you.
- Upload your UCard (student ID) photo. Your student ID is used not just for your ID card, but also for course rosters in SPIRE and the UCard app. Students living on-campus need to have their UCard photo approved in time to move to campus. Students participating in On Campus Ready for the U need to use their UCard at Ready for the U. You will need your UCard to access your residence hall and meal plan. Please submit your photo by June 1.
You can begin your Placement Assessments now. Students must complete their placement assessments by June to be eligible to meet with an academic advisor.
- First-year and Stockbrdige Students complete exams by June 1: the math placement exam is required for all first-year students regardless of course history or test scores. The writing placement questionnaire is required unless you've already completed the college writing requirement. The foreign language placement exam is offered in French, German, Latin, and Spanish. Any student who plans to continue studying one of these languages at UMass Amherst should take the placement exam.
- MassTransfer Students complete exams by June 6 please consult your email for a message from Admissions with the subject "Welcome to UMass Amherst!" which is sent after your enrollment deposit is received and indicates if a placement exam is required.
- Transfer Students complete exams by June 15 please consult your email for a message from Admissions with the subject "Welcome to UMass Amherst!" which is sent after your enrollment deposit is received and indicates if a placement exam is required.
2. Register with New Student Orientation & Transitions: Select Your Ready for the U Date.
- Register with New Student Orientation & Transitions and select your Ready for the U date and mode (on campus or online).
- Invite your parents and family members to our Parent & Family programs.
3. Access Guide to the U and the Complete New Student Checklist
The Guide to the U is an interactive online guide that introduces new students and family members to the university's values, resources, and departments. Students admitted for the fall semester, and their families, can begin accessing the Guide to the U starting on April 1, 2022.
- Students must use the Student Login Page and authenticate into Guide to the U with their UMass Amherst IT accounts in order to have this requirement marked as complete. Access is available after your enrollment fee is recorded as received in SPIRE.
- Family members must use the Guest Login Page and create a Guest Account.
Guide to the U must be complete by your June due date. Students must complete the guide before they meet with an academic advisor for New Student Advising and Course Registration.
- First-Year Students June 1
- Stockbridge Students June 1
- MassTransfer Students June 6
- Transfer Students June 15
- The Guide to the U contains a click-able checklist to help you stay on track with the rest of your new student to dos.
- Review the checklist and your UMass email frequently for future tasks including submitting your housing preference application; uploading your immunization records; paying your university bill; and more.
4. Check Your UMass Email & Make Your Online New Student Advising & Course Registration Appointment
- New Student Advising & Course Registration for Fall 2022 students takes place online from mid-June through July 22, 2022. New students cannot register for Fall 2022 before June.
- In June, after completing the Guide to the U, registering for Ready for the U, and taking your placement assessments students will receive an email in their UMass email account from their advisors.
- Check your UMass email and make your appointment using your specific invitation link to Navigate.
- Please make sure you are scheduling a new student appointment in June or July.
- Do not schedule your advising appointment during your Ready for the U session.
5. Save the Welcome to the U Dates
- Welcome to the U takes place September 1- 30 as you arrive and settle in to campus. More details will be available throughout the spring and summer.
Find out about getting involved in Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), Esport Leagues, Student Government Association (SGA), Residence Hall Governance, Student Media, Arts and Media Agencies, Student Businesses, and fraternities and sororities. Explore Campus Recreation.
The Student Employment Office lists work study and non-work study jobs, on and off campus. Auxiliary Services also posts a number of student jobs. Complete these forms before you can be hired and paid by the university and consult the I-9 form for ID requirements.
Books by eCampus is the official course materials provider of UMass Amherst. Order course materials via SPIRE following these instructions. Explore free textbooks and educational materials through UMass Libraries’ Open Education Initiative.
If you are bringing your car to campus, purchase your parking pass.
Submit your voter registration application.
The UMass Store is your campus location for UMass clothing and gifts, art and school supplies, health and beauty products, and snacks. The UMass Store also repairs and sells Apple computers and accessories at an educational discount.