New Students Orientation (NSO) is designed to help you make a smooth transition to the university and help you prepare for the semester ahead. All first-year and transfer students are required to participate in orientation. The new student checklist will guide you through the steps you need to take between when you submit your enrollment deposit and the first six weeks of the semester.
To be eligible to register for an orientation session, you must pay the enrollment deposit to accept your offer of admission and provide the university with emergency contact information.
If you have not already done so, check your SPIRE Admitted Students page using your NetID and password to confirm that your enrollment deposit has been received. If you still need to pay your enrollment deposit, instructions are available on the Undergraduate Admissions Admitted page.
While you are logged in to SPIRE, go to Campus Profiles > Student Contact Information > Emergency Contact. Provide the name and phone number of at least one emergency contact.
When you register, you will sign up for your Online Orientation and the January Advising & Registration Block date and at the same time.
- Your Online Orientation course in Moodle will include a series of activities to complete before, during, and after your Advising & Registration Block.
- Starting in early December, registered students will receive an email inviting you to log-in to the Moodle Course: Intro to UMass Community Values and Resources (NSO-IUMCVR-W21) once the materials are ready and you've been added to the course.
- An Advising & Registration Block is a window of dates during which you'll be able to schedule an advising appointment and register for classes. Advising will take place January 4 -22.
- Starting in late December, your advisor will email you at your UMass Google Mail address so that you can schedule a specific advising appointment during your Advising & Registration Block. Advising appointment availability varies based on your major or exploratory track. Advising appointments are typically scheduled for 1 hour, but vary by department. You do not need to be available all day for each day of the block you select.
- All new students starting in Spring 2021 must be registered for orientation by December 18, 2020.