The New Student Orientation & Transition team is here to support all new students and their families as they join and become active members of the UMass community. Students starting at UMass Amherst in Spring 2022 will engage in several focused components of the orientation & transition experience: Guide to the U, Ready for the U, Welcome to the U, and New Student Advising & Course Registration.
About Ready for the U
Ready for the U is your chance to experience all UMass Amherst has to offer before the semester starts. All new students actively participate in a one-day Ready for the U experience, either online or on campus.
During Ready for the U you will:
- Learn about living and acting responsibly in community,
- Begin navigating campus life at UMass Amherst,
- Acquire skills for academic readiness, and
- Develop an affinity for UMass Amherst.
Ready for the U Dates
We strongly encourage participation in the on campus version of the experience. However, the online version might be right for you if you are a student:
- with young children / caring for a family member,
- actively serving in the military / working 40 or more hours/week and unable to take a day off before classes start,
- traveling more than 400 miles to Amherst, or
- returning for a second bachelor’s degree.
Choose your Ready for the U experience date on our registration site (registration opens in December):
- January 20 – Online Ready for the U – 11:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Eastern)
- January 21 – On Campus Ready for the U – 9 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. (Eastern) followed by the January Welcome to the U Kickoff.
Students attending On Campus Ready for the U can move-in on Thursday, January 20th between 9am-8pm at their Residential Service Desk.