The Office of News and Information distributes news about the achievements of individual students to local newspapers. These hometown releases inform friends and family about awards and other accomplishments of UMass Amherst students.
What We Publicize
- Each year the Office of News and Information receives data from the Registrar's Office to write and distribute these hometowns for in-state students: Fall Dean's List, Spring Dean's List, and Commencement. Upon request to our office, releases can be written for out-of-state students.
- Student organization awards and achievements are often compiled by an organization's leaders and advisors and sent to our office. Students should check with their group leaders to determine if this is being done.
Individual students can submit news of their accomplishments. The student must fill out the Hometown News Form by:
(1) Completing this online form
(2) Visiting the Office of News and Information at 109 Munson Hall and completing the form in person
(3) Downloading a PDF version of the form. Completed forms may be faxed to 413/545-3082 or mailed to:
Hometown News Program
200 Munson Hall
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003
Electronic Delivery for Editors
The Office of News and Information typically sends paper hometown releases to newspapers. However, electronic versions of the names listed in the Dean's Lists and for Commencement are now available. A number of papers have chosen this method. The data can be provided in a Microsoft Word attachment or pasted directly into an e-mail window. To make arrangements for electronic delivery, call 413/545-0444.