WMUA-FM will mark its 60th anniversary this month with a reunion of past station staff and personalities on Oct. 24-26.
There will be an exhibit of WMUA ephemera (pins and program guides, news clippings, photos and recorded sound) at the Du Bois Library, with a Saturday, Oct. 25 reception beginning at 3:30 p.m. on the Library’s main floor.
The station is also asking alumni to dust off their radio skills and broadcast live on Saturday from 3-6 p.m. and Sunday from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
There will be a WMUA Birthday Celebration on the 11th Floor of the Campus Center on Saturday beginning at 6:30 p.m.
WMUA began on Nov. 21, 1948, as a 10-watt carrier-current station broadcasting at 650 AM with studios on the fifth floor of South College. In 1952, the radio station moved to 91.1 on the FM dial, making WMUA one of the first college-run, non-commercial FM radio stations in New England. Due to a surplus in the construction budget for Marston Hall, new studios were built for WMUA in 1956. Marston remained its home until 1983, when the radio station moved to its current location in the basement of the Campus Center. In 1973, the FCC granted WMUA a power increase, enabling listeners within a 25-mile radius to get a dose of true alternative programming.
Over its 60-year history, WMUA has nurtured hundreds of students who have gone on to contribute to the music industry as well as major radio and TV news and sports organizations, while providing the campus and the entire Pioneer Valley with alternative, underground and sometimes provocative music and viewpoints.