The UMass Libries will present FalCon, the Libraries’ first-ever multi-genre, miniature comic convention Saturday, March 30 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the W. E. B. Du Bois Library. Intended to showcase library and university resources, offer networking opportunities and create an enjoyable engagement event for the UMass Amherst community, the event is free and open to the campus community.
The event will include:
- Artist’s Alley - A showcase of artwork created by talented UMass Amherst students and alumni
- Craft Room - Unleash your creativity with coloring pages, button-making, and more
- Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art - A display highlighting the museum’s newest exhibit, Out of the Box: The Graphic Novel Comes of Age
- Game Rooms - Play board, card and video games, courtesy of the Game Hobbyists’ League, Card Game Club and Super Smash Brothers Club
- Green Screen Photo Ops - Take a picture in the Digital Media Lab against a green screen with your choice of comic-themed background
- Reading Room - Check out the Libraries’ improvements to the comics and graphic novels collections and take a look at their newest acquisitions
- RSO Showcase - Find out how to become involved with some of the partner Registered Student Organizations (RSOs)
- Scavenger Hunt - Find all the items on the list and earn a 3D-printed prize from the Digital Media Lab
- Special Drawings - Winners will be randomly selected throughout the event to take home a fantasy/science fiction book of their choosing
- Zine Workshop - Make your own zine with the Student Union Craft Center
Space is limited and available first-come, first-served, and event organizers ask that attendees please not wear costumes. For more information, or to inquire about accessibility arrangements, please contact Lauren Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org.