The University of Massachusetts Amherst Transportation Services, which operates the bus system servicing campus in partnership with Pioneer Valley Transit Authority, has announced its fall semester schedule along with ridership guidance for COVID-19.
Effective Monday, Aug. 24, the schedule for bus service is:
- Route 30 (North Amherst/Old Belchertown Road) and Route 31 (Sunderland/South Amherst) will run every 20 minutes during the day on weekdays, every 30-35 minutes at night, ending at midnight weekdays. Runs every 30-35 minutes on weekends during the daytime and every 60-70 minutes in the evenings on Saturdays ending at midnight and at 10:30 p.m. Sundays. Buses every 20 minutes provides for improved distancing. Additional “Tripper” buses will provide added support for these routes each weekday morning and afternoon initially to help ease any crowding potential.
- Route 33 (Shopper Shuttle) will run identically to last year’s schedules on weekdays, and improve to every 40 minutes on Saturdays (from 80 minutes this past year).
- Routes 34 and 35 (campus shuttles) will run one bus in each direction every 40 minutes on campus weekdays. Route 34 will end at approximately 8p.m. Route 35 will end at midnight Monday – Saturdays and at10:30 p.m. on Sundays.
- Route 38 (Mount Holyoke College/UMass) will run every 80 minutes to/from MHC/UMass from 7 a.m. to midnight weekdays and Saturdays and until 10:30 p.m. Sundays.
- Route 39 (between Hampshire College and Smith College) is cancelled until further notice, by agreement with Five College, Inc.
- Routes 45 (Belchertown Center) will run seven trips per weekday, identical to last year’s schedules.
- Route 46 (South Deerfield Center) will run similar schedules to last year with only minor time changes as a result of the changes made to the Route 31 schedule (the Route 46 is combined with Route 31 twice per day).
- Route B43 – Northampton/UMass will run every 20 minutes during the daytime on weekdays, every 30 minutes at night ending at midnight. Every half hour on Saturdays, ending at midnight. hourly on Sundays, ending at 10:30 p.m.
- Route R29 – Holyoke/UMass via 116 will run an identical schedule to last year.
Student bus drivers are required to wear face masks while driving, and have protective safety barriers that surround the driver compartments to protect drivers from COVID-19. Buses will continue to load and unload using the rear door only. Exceptions will be made for those requiring ADA access to the front door ramp/kneeler.
Transportation Services is encouraging passengers to use the bus service for essential trips only. Passengers are required to wear face coverings while riding to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Passengers also should refrain from excessive conversation while on board to reduce the risk of viral spread.