The university is seeking nominations of graduating seniors for the 21st Century Leaders Award.
This award recognizes the strong academic record and exemplary achievement of undergraduate students who have further distinguished their intellectual accomplishments, and enhanced the reputation of the university, by contributing to the campus community in one or more of the following ways:
- Demonstrating strong leadership qualities, characterized by the ability to unite and inspire others toward positive action
- Expanding the intellectual climate of their academic area through noteworthy original research
- Markedly improving the quality of life for others through community service, either internal to the university or beyond the borders of our campus
- Advancing the teaching mission of the university as an exceptional undergraduate teaching assistant whose efforts continually motivate others to learn
- Exemplifying perseverance and courage by overcoming extraordinary personal obstacles through resolve and a determination to excel
- Participating in the demands of public presentations, either by exhibiting a truly inspiring caliber of artistic talent, through creation or performance, or by excelling in the competitive demands of athleticism
Successful nominees will be characterized by their determination to fulfill their academic potential and achieve personal goals. They will be exemplars within the undergraduate community, having demonstrated intelligence, integrity, discipline, courage, compassion, and a sense of humor.
They will be recognized for this high academic performance, and for the prestige and honor they bring to the UMass Amherst, both as undergraduates and as alumni joining the larger community.
Up to 10 students will be awarded the 21st Century Leaders Award at the 2019 Commencement. Recipients will also receive an award of $1,000 from the UMass Amherst Alumni Association.
The deadline for nominating students for this award is Tuesday, Jan. 22.
The nomination form can be found on the 2019 Undergraduate Commencement website, www.umass.edu/commencement.