Frequently Asked Questions About Cleaning Protocols

How are buildings and spaces used for in-person courses and research being cleaned this fall?

Buildings with in-person classes, teaching labs, research and outdoor tents used for instruction are cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis using protocols established by Environmental Health & Safety. All touch points, seating and floors are cleaned and disinfected, and trash and recycling are removed when the building is not occupied. A second supplemental disinfecting is one during the building’s operational hours. 

How are restrooms in campus buildings cleaned?

Restrooms are completely cleaned and disinfected when a building is not occupied and supplemental disinfecting is done during the building’s operational hours. 

How are residence halls being cleaned this fall?

All residence hall community spaces (entryways, lounges, stairwells, public restrooms, etc.) are cleaned on a daily basis using protocols established by Environmental Health & Safety. All touch points and floors are cleaned and disinfected, trash and recycling are removed and all seating is disinfected. 

Is Residential Life be providing students with cleaning supplies to clean their own rooms or the bathroom within their suite or apartment?

No, students must supply their own cleaning materials and clean their own spaces and private bathrooms during the fall semester. 

How will university staff clean my building if it remains locked during the fall semester?

The university has created a Building Status Map that designates if a building is unlocked with full custodial care, locked with full custodial care, or locked with limited custodial care. The level of service in buildings that are locked is dependent on the level of activity in the building. Locked buildings with high levels of activity receive similar cleaning and disinfecting to unlocked buildings. 

In locked buildings with low levels of activity, entrances, lobbies and one set of restrooms are cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis using protocols established by Environmental Health & Safety. Signage in these buildings directs occupants to the set of restrooms that have frequent service. If staff are not working in the building it is cleaned and disinfected and then locked. The only service in these buildings are daily running of water in restrooms.

Please work with your departmental building coordinator or facilities customer service representative if you have any questions about the service in your building. 

1.    Will my office and shared spaces like kitchenettes be cleaned by university staff?

No, you are responsible for cleaning your own office and taking your trash and recycling to the location designated for the area of your building. Please refer to the map provided by your building coordinator for the location in your building. If you use a shared space such as a kitchenette, please clean up after yourself and wipe down any surfaces you touched.

Departments may request a cleaning kit of gloves, paper towels, disinfectant, and hand sanitizer by emailing If you have an emergency or urgent custodial need, please contact the Facilities Solutions Center at 413-545-6401.

2.    Is hand sanitizer available in buildings? 

Yes, there are hand sanitizer dispensers in the lobbies of buildings.

3.    Is the university providing cleaning materials in classrooms?

Yes, every classroom with face-to-face instruction has disinfectant and dry cloth wipes for use by occupants. 

4.    Are water fountains and hydration stations available for use? 

Hydration stations are available for filling water bottles only.  Drinking directly from hydration stations is not allowed. Custodial services clean and disinfect hydration stations daily. Water fountains are closed and in most instances inoperable.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

5.    How do I report a problem in a campus building?  In a residence hall?

Problems in campus buildings should be reported to the Facilities Solutions Center at 413-545- 6401. Problems in residence halls should be reported using an iService Request.