AMHERST, Mass. – Fourteen seniors will be presented with 21st Century Scholars awards during the 135th Commencement of the University of Massachusetts Amherst on Sunday, May 22, at 10 a.m. in Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
The awards are designed to recognize students who are academically accomplished and who have contributed to the university by exceptional achievement or have enhanced the reputation of the campus. The recipients are nominated by faculty for strong leadership qualities; noteworthy original research; community service; the achievement of success by overcoming extraordinary personal circumstances, or public presentation through art, performance or athletic ability.
This is the third year the awards have been given. The awards are sponsored by the Chancellor''s Office and the UMass Alumni Association. The presentation of the senior awards during the undergraduate Commencement is designed to focus the ceremony on the accomplishments of students and to recognize the support they have received from their families, says UMass Chancellor John V. Lombardi.
This year''s recipients are:
* Crina M. Boeras, a biology major, from Andover, Mass.
* Aviva T. Costello, a psychology major, from Swampscott, Mass.
* Ronak Dave, an operations management major, from Merrimack, N.H.
* Alexis M. Davison, a psychology major, from West Milford, N.J.
* Robert W. Eppsteiner, a Spanish and biology major, from Framingham, Mass.
* Adina E. Giannelli, a journalism major, from Canton, Mass.
* Jennifer E. Griffin, a microbiology major, from Uxbridge, Mass.
* Midori E. Harris, a theater major, from Groton, Mass.
* Nathan Jewell, a finance and management major, from Newburyport, Mass.
* Ashley M. Kalus, a finance and legal studies major, from Boston, Mass.
* Anina Kostecki, a political science, from S. Deerfield, Mass.
* Maxfield Raynolds, an operations management major, from Milton, Mass.
* Mina G. Safain, a biochemistry and molecular biology major, from Holliston, Mass.
* Peter G. Trovato, a journalism and political science major, from N. Attleboro, Mass.