This project is using a combination of long-term data records and recently established large-scale adaptive management studies in managed forests across the Lake States, New England, Intermountain West, and Black Hills to identify forest management strategies and forest conditions that confer the greatest levels of resistance and resilience to past and emerging stressors and their relevance in addressing future global change. This work represents a broad partnership between scientists from the USFS Northern Research Station, USFS Rocky Mountain Research Station, USGS, University of MN, University of Maine, and Dartmoutch College in an effort to capitalize on over 50 years of data collection on USFS Experimental Forests and Forest Inventory and Analysis plot to evaluate forest adaptation strategies. In addition, this project includes two installations of the Adaptive Silviculture for Climate Change (ASCC) network in northern MN and northern NH and is using these sites to examine resistance, resilience, and transition strategies for these forests and resultant impacts on ecosystem services and wildlife populations.
Tools and Products
Increasing Forest Resiliency for an Uncertain Futurehttp://masswoods.org/sites/masswoods.net/files/Forest-Resiliency.pdf?_ga=2.229764639.2009405622.1544803599-1750151280.1528743578
A guidance report for forest managers that will help develop ahead with proactive actions.
- Heuss, M., A.W. D'Amato, K.J. Doods. 2018 Northward expansion of southern pine beetle generates significant alterations to forest structure and composition of globally rare Pinus rigida forests. Forest Ecology and Management. ,
- Woodall, C. W., J. A. Westfall, A. W. D'Amato, J. R. Foster, and B. F. Walters. 2018. Decadal changes in tree range stability across forests of the eastern U.S. Forest Ecology and Management 429:503-510.
- Janowiak, Maria K.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Iverson, Louis; Thompson, Frank R., III; Dijak, William D.; Matthews, Stephen; Peters, Matthew P.; Prasad, Anantha; Fraser, Jacob S.; Brandt, Leslie A.; Butler-Leopold, Patricia; Handler, Stephen D.; Shannon, P. Danielle; Burbank, Diane; Campbell, John; Cogbill, Charles; Duveneck, Matthew J.; Emery, Marla R.; Fisichelli, Nicholas; Foster, Jane; Hushaw, Jennifer; Kenefic, Laura; Mahaffey, Amanda; Morelli, Toni Lyn; Reo, Nicholas J.; Schaberg, Paul G.; Simmons, K. Rogers; Weiskittel, Aaron; Wilmot, Sandy; Hollinger, David; Lane, Erin; Rustad, Lindsey; Templer, Pamela H. 2018. New England and northern New York forest ecosystem vulnerability assessment and synthesis: a report from the New England Climate Change Response Framework project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-173. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 234 p.
- Curzon, M. T., D'Amato, A. W., Fraver, S., Huff, E. S. and Palik, B. J. (2017), Succession, climate and neighbourhood dynamics influence tree growth over time: an 87-year record of change in a Pinus resinosa-dominated forest, Minnesota, USA. J Veg Sci, 28: 82–92.
- Bottero, A., A. W. D'Amato, B. J. Palik, C. C. Kern, J. B. Bradford, and S. S. Scherer. 2017. Influence of repeated prescribed fire on tree growth and mortality in Pinus resinosa forests, northern Minnesota. Forest Science 63:94-100.
- Nagel L.M., Palik B.J., Battaglia M.A., D’Amato A.W., Guldin J.M., Swanston C.W., Janowiak M.K., Powers M.P., Joyce L.A., Millar C.I., Peterson D.L., Ganio L., Roske M.R. 2017. Adaptive Silviculture for Climate Change – a national experiment in manager-scientist partnerships to apply an adaptation framework. Journal of Forestry.
- Foster, J.R., A.O. Finley, A.W. D'Amato, J.B. Bradford and S. Banerjee. 2016. Predicting tree biomass growth in the temperate-boreal ecotone: is tree size, age, competition or climate response most important? Global Change Biology 22: 2138-2151
- Clark, J.S., L. Iverson, C.W. Woodall, C.D. Allen, D.M. Bell, D.Bragg, A.W. D’Amato, F.W. Davis, M. Hersh, I. Ibanez, S.T. Jackson, S. Matthews, N. Pederson, M. Peters, M. Schwartz, K. Waring, and N.E. Zimmermann. 2016. The impacts of increasing drought on forest dynamics, structure, and biodiversity. Global Change Biology.
- Cataranzo, Paul F., DAmato Anthony W., and Huff Emily Silver, (2016) Increasing Forest Resiliency for an Uncertain Future. Guidance Report.
- Dymond, S. F., A. W. D'Amato, R. K. Kolka, P. V. Bolstad, S. D. Sebestyen, and J. B. Bradford. 2016. Growth–climate relationships across topographic gradients in the northern Great Lakes. Ecohydrology 9:918-929.
- Pederson, N., A.W. D'Amato, J.M. Dyer, D.R. Foster, D. Goldblum, J.L. Hart, A.E. Hessl, L.R. Iverson, S.T. Jackson, D. Martin-Benito, B.C. McCarthy, R.W. McEwan, D.J. Mladenoff, A.J. Parker, B. Shuman, and J.W. Williams. 2015. Climate remains an important driver of post-European vegetation change in the eastern United States. Global Change Biology 21:2105-2110.
- Foster, J. R., and A. W. D'Amato. 2015. Montane forest ecotones moved downslope in northeastern US in spite of warming between 1984 and 2011. Global Change Biology.
- Reinikainen, M.R., A.W. D’Amato, J. Bradford, and S. Fraver. 2014. Influence of stocking, site quality, stand age, low-severity canopy disturbance, and forest composition on sub-boreal aspen mixedwood carbon stocks. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44: 230-242.
- Foster, Jane R., D'Amato Anthony W., and Bradford John B. 2014. Looking for age-related growth decline in natural forests: unexpected biomass patterns from tree rings and simulated mortality. Oecologia 175: 363 - 374.
- D’Amato, A.W., J. Bradford, S. Fraver, and B. Palik. 2013. Effects of thinning on drought vulnerability and climate response in north temperate forest ecosystems. Ecological Applications 23: 1735-1742.
- Bradford, J.B., N.R. Jensen, G.M. Domke, and A.W. D’Amato. 2013. Potential increases in natural disturbance rates could offset forest management impacts on ecosystem carbon stocks. Forest Ecology and Management 308: 178-187.
- Woodall, C.W., Zhu, K., Westfall, J.A., Oswalt, C.M., D’Amato, A.W., Walters, B.F., Lintz, H.E., 2013. Assessing the stability of tree ranges and influence of disturbance in eastern US forests. Forest Ecology and Management 291: 172-180.
- D'Amato, A.W. 2018 Adaptive silvicultural strategies for northern hardwood forests: building on the past to address future challenges. International Union of Forest Research Organizations: Uneven-aged Working Group Meeting. Valdivia, Chile.
- Clark, P., and A.W. D'Amato. 2018. Exploring forest adaptation strategies in Vermont. September 14. Green Mountain Division of Society of American Foresters Summer Meeting. Waterbury, VT.
- Bennet, K. and A.W. D'Amato. 2018. Northeast Silviculture Institute for Foresters: Northern Hardwoods Module. September 5-6. Bartlett Experimental Forest, Bartlett, New Hampshire.
- Bennet, K. and A.W. D'Amato. 2018. Northeast Silviculture Institute for Foresters: Pine-Oak Module. May 15-16. University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire.
- Bennet, K. and A.W. D'Amato. Northeast Silviculture Institute for Foresters: Pine-Oak Module. May 15-16 2018 University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire.
- Heuss, M. and A.W. D'Amato. "Southern pine beetle impacts on Long Island and future forests". Preparing for southern pine beetle in Massachusetts Workshop, Audubon’s Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Wellfleet, MA. February 13, 2018
- Foster, J.R., A.W. D'Amato, M. Itter, M. Reinikainen, and M. Curzon. 2017. Landsat Time-series for the Masses:Predicting Wood Biomass Growth from Tree-rings Using Departures from Mean Phenology in Google Earth Engine. American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. December 17.
- Foster, J.R., and A.W. D’Amato. 2017. Forecasting migration rates of montane species under climate change with a spatially dynamic vegetation model. Presentation. 11th North American Forest Ecology Workshop, Edmonton, Alberta. June 22.
- Palik, B.J., A.W. D’Amato, L. Nagel, and J. Mueller. 2017. Transitioning red pine forests to a warmer, drier future: assisting replacement of an iconic species. Presentation. 11th North American Forest Ecology Workshop, Edmonton, Alberta. June 22.
- D’Amato, A.W. 2017. Silviculture in the face of uncertainty: is the past still relevant? Invited Keynote Presentation. 11th North American Forest Ecology Workshop, Edmonton, Alberta. June 20.
- D'Amato, A.W. 2017. Strategies for managing forests to increase drought tolerance. National Drought Meeting, San Antonio, TX. March 22.
- D'Amato, A.W. 2017. Strategies for managing forests to increase drought tolerance. New England Society of American Forests Winter Meeting, Bangor, ME, March 8.
- Curzon, M.T., A.W. D'Amato, J.R. Foster, B.J. Palik, S. Fraver, J.B. Bradford, A. Bottero, and K.E. Gleason. 2016. Forest structure and management influence trait-based growth in northern forests across the northeastern United States. 101st Ecological Society of America Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL. August 7-12 Foster, J.R., and A.W.
- D'Amato. 2016. Forecasting potential climate change refugia to guide conservation of montane species.101st Ecological Society of America Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL. August 7-12.
- J. Foster, A. D'Amato, February 2016 "Forecasting Potential Climate Refugia to Guide Conservation of Montane Species" Northeast Climate Science Center Webinar
- Bottero A., A.W. D’Amato, B.J. Palik, J.B. Bradford, S. Fraver. 2015. Thinning reduces vulnerability of forest ecosystems to drought. Italian Congress on Silviculture, Florence, Italy. September 15.
- Palik, B.J., L. Nagel, A.W. D'Amato, and C. Kern. 2015. Adaptive sivilculture for climate chante in Pinus resinosa (red pine) forests. North American Forest Ecology Workshop, Veracruz, Mexico. June 18.
- D'Amato, A.W. 2015. Something old, something new: sivilcultural strategies for addressing climate change. New England Society of American Foresters 95th Winter Meeting. Fairlee, VT. March 26.
- Bottero, A. 2015. Long-term effects of repeated prescribed burning on tree growth and drought vulnerability in red pine forests in northern Minnesotaa. Lake States Fire Consortium Webinar Series. February 19.
- Bottero, A., J.B. Bradford, A.W. D'Amato, S. Fraver, and B.J. Palik. 2014. Forest thinning alters drought vulnerability in temperate North American forests. Society of American Foresters National Convention, Salt Lake City, UT. October 10.
- D'Amato, A.W. 2014. Climate-Informed Forest Management Forum and Field Day. Grand Rapids and Chippewa National Forest, MN. May 8.
- Foster, J.R., D'Amato, A.W., Bradford, J.B. 2013. Sensitivity of tree, species and stand biomass growth to summer water deficits from tree-ring reconstructions in northern Minnesota. Presentation at 9th North American Forest Ecology Workshop, Bloomington, IN. June 17-20, 2013.
- Foster, J.R., A.W. D’Amato, and J.B. Bradford. 2013. Characterizing the differential sensitivity of tree species and forest types to past weather variability using dendrochronological techniques. Presentation at 98th Annual Meeting Ecological Society of America. Minneapolis, MN. August 4-9, 2013.
- McKenzie, D.A., A.W. D’Amato, B.J. Palik, S. Fraver, J. B. Bradford, and J.C. Brissette. 2013. Long-term silviculture experiments impact stand-level weather sensitivity, resistance, and resilience. Presentation at 98th Annual Meeting Ecological Society of America. Minneapolis, MN. August 4-9, 2013.
- D’Amato, A.W. 2013. Adaptive silviculture and site level considerations for northern hardwoods. 2013. Invited presentation at the 2013 Wisconsin Society of American Foresters State Conference, Minocqua, WI. September 17.
- Foster, J.R., A.W. D’Amato, and J.B. Bradford. 2012. Long-term tree and stand biomass increment patterns derived from tree rings in multiple temperate and sub-boreal forest systems in northeastern Minnesota, USA. Seminar at 97th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America, Portland, OR. August 9.
- Bradford, J., A.W. D'Amato, G. Domke, J.R. Foster, N.R. Jensen, and E. Peters. 2012. Adaptation and mitigation strategies on the Superior National Forest in response to climate change: monitoring, assessing, and forecasting. Invited presentation at Superior National Forest Research Roundup, Duluth, MN. February 22.
- D’Amato, A.W. 2012. Looking back to inform the future: retrospective assessments of forest adaptation and mitigation strategies. Invited Webinar as part of Northeast Climate Science Center Colloquium, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA. February 15.
- NE CSC News: New Report: Vulnerability of Northeast Forests. Febraury 12, 2018.
- Anthony D'Amato Interview on Northeast Public Radio: Mild Winters In Our Near Future Will Threaten The Trees That Define Vermont Forests, February 12, 2018.
- Anthony D'Amato Interview on Northeast Public Radio: UVM Forestry Professor Discusses New Study On Climate Change Impact On Northeast Forests, February 8, 2018.
- Meeting: Climate-Informed Forest Management Forum and Field Day. Grand Rapids and Chippewa National Forest, MN, May 7-8, 2014
- Meeting: Northeast Climate Science Center Outreach and Science Planning, Minneapolis, MN, January 17-18, 2013
- Meeting: western LCCs within Northeast CSC, Madison, WI, May 23, 2012 change. USFS Northern Research Station/NASA